What "stops the clock" ? (APPROVED) or (AWARDED) ?

As we all know, a Scout has to hold a rank in the program for a specific amount of time (4 months, 6 months, etc) before advancing to the next rank.  My question is...which notation in Scoutbook actually stops the clock of the previous rank and starts the clock on the new rank.  Marking the rank as "approved" or marking the rank as "awarded"?  The reason I ask is because we often do not have a Court of Honor for several months or more and I have boys that are nearing "age out" and need every month they can get working toward Eagle.  I know that the awards can be moved to a PO after being "approved" post-BOR, but have also heard that UAC's should not mark them as "awarded" until they are physically given to the Scout.  So again....what stops the clock?  Approved or Awarded.  

Thank You All !!!

1 hour ago, Alec27 said:

As we all know, a Scout has to hold a rank in the program for a specific amount of time (4 months, 6 months, etc) before advancing to the next rank.  My question is...which notation in Scoutbook actually stops the clock of the previous rank and starts the clock on the new rank.  Marking the rank as "approved" or marking the rank as "awarded"?  The reason I ask is because we often do not have a Court of Honor for several months or more and I have boys that are nearing "age out" and need every month they can get working toward Eagle.  I know that the awards can be moved to a PO after being "approved" post-BOR, but have also heard that UAC's should not mark them as "awarded" until they are physically given to the Scout.  So again....what stops the clock?  Approved or Awarded.  

Thank You All !!!

Approved.

You can accumulate several ranks in Scoutbook "to be awarded".

But, you should not be waiting until a Court of Honor to award a rank or badge.  You should be doing this as soon as possible after the rank or badge is earned.

Read your Scout Handbook, approx page 414. "As soon as possible, you are recognized for your achievement at a troop meeting where you recevie your badge. (You'll later be recognized again at a special ceremony call a court of honor.)"

Once we "award" at a troop meeting, we mark it in Scoutbook.  Then for your future Court of Honor, you can run the "Scouts BSA Recognition Report" backdated to your last CoH, for a complete list of everything to be recognized at the upcoming CoH.

Our Scouts rarely wait more than a week to get their badges... just enough time to get to the Scout store to purchase.  Fortunately, our Advancement person lives a few blocks from the store, and has a weekly routine of going the day of our Scout meeting to pick up items.  Your mileage will obviously vary...

Edited by InquisitiveScouter

Once they complete their BOR. It has nothing to do with "approval".

A scout can be an eagle scout without ever having had a court of honor. Here, the approval date will be after the BOR but the only date of importance is the BOR date.

Edited by MattR
typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, MattR said:

Once they complete their BOR. It has nothing to do with "approval".

A scout can be an eagle scout without ever having had a court of honor. Here, the approval date will be after the BOR but the only date of importance is the BOR date.

Ahh... our procedure is to "Approve" as soon as the BoR is complete... same date.

And OP did specifically ask about what happens in SB.

BTW, @Alec27, you can go back in SB and manipulate an "Earned" date to match the BoR date, if that is an issue.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 1