What's the maximum age for Cub Scouts? Completing 5th grade?

1 hour ago, KublaiKen said:

Most Ivy League schools and top employers, including the upper-echelon law firms and wealth management services, won't even consider you if you don't have Arrow of Light on your resume.

You are joking but in reality parents will list it as a credential on applications to private schools. There aren't a lot of comparable accomplishments in that age group for parents who are looking to get into competitive middle schools. 

49 minutes ago, yknot said:

You are joking but in reality parents will list it as a credential on applications to private schools. There aren't a lot of comparable accomplishments in that age group for parents who are looking to get into competitive middle schools. 

That leads me to believe that the admissions committees don't have a clue about the AOL.  Let's be real, it's nowhere near the level of an accomplishment of a First Class Scout, let alone Eagle.

• Upvote 3
16 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

That leads me to believe that the admissions committees don't have a clue about the AOL.  Let's be real, it's nowhere near the level of an accomplishment of a First Class Scout, let alone Eagle.

I think it's more about the age/timing of when people are looking to move their kids as well as the fact that scouting accomplishments apart from Eagle are almost meaningless to people outside scouting. If you write on your child's application to a private middle school that they just achieved Arrow of Light, the highest rank in cub scouts, it sounds good and shows completion. Six months later trying to explain where Tenderfoot or Second Class falls in scouting or what it means is not particularly as easy or clear cut.  Of course there are plenty of people who push their kids to Eagle at 13 so they can put it on a competitive private high school application. 

Edited by yknot

I talked to the dad today.  We discussed both sides of the issue and I think he's in agreement that it's better to start with the troop on March 1st rather than holding his son back.  It would be different if we had a Webelos Den behind him, but we don't.  Better that he start progressing toward Eagle with kids his own age than hang out with 9 year olds.  

• Upvote 4
On 1/19/2023 at 9:17 PM, yknot said:

I'm sharp enough to realize these types of situations exist, but the concept of the AOL award being perceived as a serious academic credential still baffles me.

• Haha 2
  • 10 months later...
On 1/18/2023 at 7:41 AM, nolesrule said:

This has nothing to do with AOL, but he can join a Scouts BSA troop on March 1 if he's currently in 5th grade.

Actually, AOL includes 6 months in 5th grade which starts in June which is when the National Office rolls all the grade levels up to the next year. Tecnically a Webelos can get the Arrow of Light in December and cross to Scouts even if only 10 years old. Other times to join Scouts BSA are age 11 or 10 1/2 and graduated grade 5. 

On 12/2/2023 at 7:53 PM, Ojoman said:

Other times to join Scouts BSA are age 11 or 10 1/2 and graduated grade 5. 

No, the joining requirements for Scouts BSA changed on April 18, 2022, and are as follows:

At least 10 years old, currently in the fifth grade and register on or after March 1
or

At least 10 years old and have earned the Arrow of Light Award
or

At least 11 years old (but not yet 18)

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, nolesrule said:

No, the joining requirements for Scouts BSA changed on April 18, 2022, and are as follows:

At least 10 years old, currently in the fifth grade and register on or after March 1
or

At least 10 years old and have earned the Arrow of Light Award
or

At least 11 years old (but not yet 18)

Gotta love BSA ...   Says different here.  I assume it is out of date.  
https://www.scouting.org/programs/scouts-bsa/faqs/#:~:text=Youth can join a Scout,not yet 18 years old.

Also gotta love legalistic wording that is clear as mud.  ... "after March 1" ... So a kid could register April 1st of 4th grade, then when they enter 5th grade they can move to a troop ?  I doubt it's the intention, but it's the wording.  It might have been better to say completed 5th grade or in the last three months of fifth grade.  

@fred8033 They never updated that FAQ. Shocking.

here is the current youth application with a revision date of 04/2023.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/524-406.pdf

image.thumb.png.6c48e5f8c46eff44c61c7a6a514260fc.png

I agree the wording is somewhat ambiguous, but it's been clarified elsewhere (by some national volunteer somewhere) that the intent is that it must be on or after March 1 of the 5th grade school year. The idea behind this particular clause was that a kid not already in Cub Scouts would be allowed to join at the same time as their buddies already in Cubs would be crossing over.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, nolesrule said:

@fred8033 They never updated that FAQ. Shocking.

here is the current youth application with a revision date of 04/2023.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/524-406.pdf

image.thumb.png.6c48e5f8c46eff44c61c7a6a514260fc.png

I agree the wording is somewhat ambiguous, but it's been clarified elsewhere (by some national volunteer somewhere) that the intent is that it must be on or after March 1 of the 5th grade school year. The idea behind this particular clause was that a kid not already in Cub Scouts would be allowed to join at the same time as their buddies already in Cubs would be crossing over.

Actually, unless things have changed since I 'retired' a youth remains a cub unless graduated earlier, until the end of the school year for grade 5. Youths and/or adults with certain disabilities can remain in Cubs or Scouts beyond the above criteria. I know of a nursing home that ran a Scout program for the male residents. 

1 minute ago, Ojoman said:

Actually, unless things have changed since I 'retired' a youth remains a cub unless graduated earlier, until the end of the school year for grade 5. Youths and/or adults with certain disabilities can remain in Cubs or Scouts beyond the above criteria. I know of a nursing home that ran a Scout program for the male residents. 

Things clearly have changed since you "retired". I provided the current Scouts BSA joining requirements that went into effect April 18, 2022.

While you are correct on the disabilities portion, it is not relevant. The question is about the earliest point someone in Cub Scouts (or not in Cub Scouts) can join a Scouts BSA troop, not how long someone can stay a Cub Scout.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, nolesrule said:

Scouts BSA changed on April 18, 2022

Thanks for the update... makes sense so friends of AOL's crossing over can join up with them... 

Edited by Ojoman
  • Upvote 1