I am looking for advice of how other Troops keep track of outings that don't involve camping or hiking? I have tried using scoutbook calendar, but it is very cumbersome, but if it would work well I would do it more. Maybe others have had better experiences or I haven't found the shortcuts? If you log it in scoutbook  can you see it again, through any reports etc? I struggle with keeping track of water minutes, biking miles, etc for the national outdoor awards etc.

Thanks for your input 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Leehoden said:

I am looking for advice of how other Troops keep track of outings that don't involve camping or hiking? I have tried using scoutbook calendar, but it is very cumbersome, but if it would work well I would do it more. Maybe others have had better experiences or I haven't found the shortcuts? If you log it in scoutbook  can you see it again, through any reports etc? I struggle with keeping track of water minutes, biking miles, etc for the national outdoor awards etc.

Thanks for your input 

You are correct...

The system is not currently designed to keep track of Riding miles nor Aquatics hours, each of which are counted for the National Outdoor Achievement Award (NOAA).

I helped my Eagle Scout keep track of his in Scoutbook.   Specifically, under the basic award for each NOAA, there is a comment which contains a log of all activities related to that award.

Sorta looks like this:

- 150 miles Horseback riding and Cycling during Cub Scout activities ( from Cub Scout records kept)

-  30 miles - ATV Program, Summer Camp - 17 Jul 2017 
-  10 miles - Cycling - Beach Camping, 18 May 2018
-  10 miles - Mountain Biking, XXXX State Park , 12 Nov 2018
= 200 miles to date (meet 200 miles requirement for basic award)

-  22 miles - Canal Path Day Trip, 10 Apr 2019
-  35 miles - Cycling, Scout Camp, 15 Jul 2019
-  11 miles - Cycling, Town Halloween Bike Ride, 25 Oct 2019
-  60 miles - Cycling Trek, Aug 2020
= 328 total to date (meets +100 miles requirement for 1st gold device)

etc, etc, etc.

Indulge me a Dad Brag??  My son just finished Wilderness First Aid over the holiday period --- the last requirement for him to earn his National Medal for Outdoor Achievement

National Medal for Outdoor Achievement

This is system is very cumbersome, but the burden, currently, is on the Scout to keep track of his activities, other than those actually recorded in Internet Advancement (miles, nights, service hours...)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
20 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

My son just finished Wilderness First Aid over the holiday period --- the last requirement for him to earn his National Medal for Outdoor Achievement

I heard they discontinued the actual medal. Which is sad. If you can’t find one, I’d buy one from eBay. 

1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

I heard they discontinued the actual medal. Which is sad. If you can’t find one, I’d buy one from eBay. 

We have had several scouts earn this. It is now a center with rockers around it. You can earn gold bars if you earn a certain amount more time in each area. 

image.jpeg.161f4cc58a09fd67d5bbf9e90296f3fa.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Leehoden said:

We have had several scouts earn this. It is now a center with rockers around it. You can earn gold bars if you earn a certain amount more time in each area. 

image.jpeg.161f4cc58a09fd67d5bbf9e90296f3fa.jpeg

@Leehoden, that is the National Outdoor Achievement Award (NOAA).  That is something different.  Several NOAAs are required for National Medal for Outdoor Achievement. (NMOA)

Look for the medal requirements in Scoutbook.

or here:

https://www.scouting.org/programs/scouts-bsa/advancement-and-awards/noa/

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Several NOAAs are required for National Medal for Outdoor Achievement. (NMOA)

It is an awesome achievement. It is one of the most outing Scouting award. Many parts of eagle are booksmart, NMOA is outdoor-smart. You really have to put in the hours / miles. Nice work! 

1 minute ago, mrjohns2 said:

It is an awesome achievement. It is one of the most outing Scouting award. Many parts of eagle are booksmart, NMOA is outdoor-smart. You really have to put in the hours / miles. Nice work! 

Yes, he has become quite the Outdoorsman!

And I do like this award.  I would put the level of difficulty above Eagle Scout.

• Upvote 1