Evaluating Girls in Scouts BSA Part 3 -- Impacts on Young People

3 minutes ago, qwazse said:

GS/USA tried to impose these strictures at a regional and council level in response to the advent of Scouts BSA. Memos regarding multi-organization activities began to be circulated. E.g., from https://www.gssne.org/content/dam/girlscouts-gssne/documents/GirlScout_Participation_in Activities_with_Other_Scouting_Organizations.pdf …

I believe language of the sort made it into some troop training materials. (I say “some” because I suspect many trainers knew their audience was more focused on policies that helped their girls grow strong and good, and would not countenance time wasted on admonitions to protect a corporate brand.) In light of GS/USA backing away from trademark litigation this past July, one would hope that an encouragement to “play nice,” with other scouting organizations will also be disseminated. But, I won’t hold my breath, @InquisitiveScouter, for you to post such a memo from your GS/USA council.

Thanks, but the memo cited only outlines risks.  It prohibits no interactions.

18 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

It prohibits no interactions.

In the Volenteer esentials that each council releases each year, they have had pretty consistent language from their national group. The language is much clearer.

"For this reason, councils are encouraged to avoid joint recruiting and/or joint participation in community events or activities."

"we must ensure that we take care that the activities in which girls participate are exclusive to the Girl Scout program"

image.thumb.png.db2cdf6f61195fb407e331fc3f65694c.png

22 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

In the Volenteer esentials that each council releases each year, they have had pretty consistent language from their national group. The language is much clearer.

"For this reason, councils are encouraged to avoid joint recruiting and/or joint participation in community events or activities."

"we must ensure that we take care that the activities in which girls participate are exclusive to the Girl Scout program"

image.thumb.png.db2cdf6f61195fb407e331fc3f65694c.png

Nuanced doublespeak...

"encouraged to avoid ... joint participation in community events or activities"  You could interpret that to mean Girl Scouts are "encouraged to avoid" placing flags on veterans graves because BSA units are there doing it at the same time.... hogwash

Or, you could interpret that to mean Girl Scouts are "encouraged to avoid" walking in the Memorial Day Parade because BSA units are doing the same.

("Encouraged to avoid" is too slippery,,, just say "prohibited" or "shall not")

Same interpretation applies to "...exclusive to the Girl Scout program"

I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts, most GSUSA units are completely ignoring this, just as they are in our neck of the woods.

It would be more clearly understood if the GSUSA put out guidance to say GSUSA units are not to participate in events "sponsored" by the BSA.... ala District or Council events, National Jamborees, HABs, etc.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter

The principal thought about Scouts BSA for girls is that it is so dramatically different as a program from GSUSA at the 11-18 age group that we are not in competition with them.  I do not believe the girls in our troop would be happy in a GSUSA unit because they are looking for the rigorous and frequent outdoor programming we offer.  

I recall being shocked by the fighting words used by their national leadership when we first opened to girls.  They have not been harmed by our program opening to girls and I was surprised they were not more confident in their own offerings at the time.  In my view, the weak trademark lawsuit was a mistake, and the judge agreed by dismissing the case.

I wish them well because they do good works for children.  However, I don’t anticipate they will ever be interested in encouraging their people to engage jointly with us.  Just think about the benefits their children could obtain at our high adventure bases and at our most-thrilling council long term camps (Ten Mile, Goshen, Owasippe, etc.).  Their approach disadvantages their own girls.

1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Nuanced doublespeak...

It would be more clearly understood if the GSUSA put out guidance to say GSUSA units are not to participate in events "sponsored" by the BSA.... ala District or Council events, National Jamborees, HABs, etc.

Life in the ‘80s: I once met a Greek young woman, recently converted to Evangelical Christianity, who patiently explained to me that she would retain her communist party membership because the party insisted that there was no conflict between their philosophy and any religion. I said, “OKay.”

It was hardly a week later that she burned her membership card due to how viciously they excoriated her for her newfound faith.

Kudos to GS/USA units who tune this stuff out. I encourage them to not violate my Rule #1 (Don’t ask for a rule, you’ll live to regret it.) and engage whatever community they find themselves in or beside.

• Upvote 1