Segler wanted to be a cowboy when he was a kid growing up in Alabama. Instead, he found his calling as a Western oil painter.

“In 1977 I got a job as a cowboy in a living history program at Philmont Scout Ranch in northern New Mexico. I worked in the program for seven years,” he said. “During my time at the ranch, I began painting professionally, particularly cowboy subjects. I signed on with galleries in Ft. Worth and Santa Fe and started showing my work around the Southwest. I still go on cattle drives with them, which continues to inspire my paintings.”

In 2016, the Eagle Scout who has been involved with scouting for more than 50 years, took on one of his most ambitious and time-consuming projects, one that was very close to his heart. “David Carr, prominent Los Alamos community supporter, approached me about doing a painting that would commemorate the upcoming 100th Anniversary of the Los Alamos Ranch School and Troop 22,” Segler said. “The founders of the Ranch School built their new program on the philosophy of Baden Powell’s fledgling BSA, which was less than 10 years old at the time. Troop 22 sprung out of the Ranch School and was the first and only mounted Scout troop in all of Scouting. Every boy at the school was a member of the troop, and every boy was issued a horse for the duration of their stay at the Ranch School.”...

The Boys of Pajarito Plateau

The Boys of Pajarito Plateau - Jeff Segler

More at source, including art show at Karen Wray Gallery :

https://ladailypost.com/national-artist-of-the-bsa-jeff-segler-shows-los-alamos-themed-work-at-karen-wray-gallery/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2