I don't know if these would be good for cooking but we use them here for parts storage and other transport uses.

http://www.bascousa.com/containers/paintcansandpails.html

http://www.bascousa.com/containers/openheadsteelpails.html

Kristi

Uniform Closet

c/o Kristi Cantor

PO BOX 1111

Kodak TN 37764(This message has been edited by cajuncody)

Some restaurants still get olive oil in square cans but most products come in plastic pails now...check with local restaurant supplyer and whole sellers then hit the restaurant kitchens.

If 'Five Gallon' is the size you want...for making stoves some paints and stains still come in metal 5's. Check local professional painters for empties...not for cooking in though..no paint can is... even new! Generally,rule is; if using for nesting cook set or making 'billies' (water pails/pots,) if food did not come in it-- don't use for food. Many cans have special polymer coatings which are better left out of your digestive system.

anarchist

Depending on what you want to use them for, check at military surplus stores for "Jerry cans" or ammo cans. The jerrys are now made of thick plastic, but used to be metal; you might be able to find some that are still serviceable. They've been used for everything from water to diesel fuel, though, so check them out closely. The ammo cans come in all sizes, and have a thousand uses. Again, if you're using them for anything connected with food storage, preparation, or consumption, make sure they're thoroughly cleaned and that any paint or coatings won't create a toxicity problem.

KS

Thanks for the responses. I am wanting to find the type of cans used for food uses. Planning to make various ovens, hot water billies and possibly a stove out of them to show scouts and scouters alternatives to higher priced units. Hope to set up a 'hobo' style campsite during a future overnight.

thanks

yis

The link I gave was for the manufacturer. I would think that they could maybe do some without any coating or paint at all for you to use for cooking. They also sell water containers and bulk food containers so I am sure they know how to treat them the proper way.

Kristi(This message has been edited by cajuncody)

Think I may have found a source for the metal cans. A local large grocery store that has food providers had one that gets 5 gal cans and they have promised to call me as they are emptied.

The manager that I spoke to was interested in helping the scouts and was very helpful. Sure hope they come through.

Keep ya posted

yis

ps. any hints on best ways to clean the things once I get them?

If its been used for food grade items just nneds a good washing and drying. If its been used for any hazarous material, like engine oil or antifreeze I would be extremmly careful and leery of what I was using it for as its almost impossible to get that stuff out. To the point thatthe health deptment will not allow grills made out of 55 gal drums on youth camps anymore here.