Is the online position-specific training for ASM/SM not sufficient for the "trained" designation?  online reports seem to imply "S24" is required and that maps to position specific training in the current training codes doc (https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/currentandpasttrainingcodes.pdf ) which just says position specific training but then the actual Trained Leader Status report seems to indicate classroom training is mandatory for this vs. the online?

The BSA online training system in my.scouting is misleading as to the training required. You can complete the classroom portion ONLY in my.scouting and your training record will show you as "position trained" even though you have not met the complete "trained" requirements (IOLS). Also, the system will not differentiate between the online and the classroom training, i.e. it will not waive the S24 classroom portion when you completed all the online training or the other way around. Your training records will say that you need to complete S24 even though you've done all the online modules.

I have 4 ASMs who are showing as "not trained".  They all took IOLS at an out of council summer camp, I have scans  of their signed training cards.  Assuming that'll clear that up.  But they all show as needing S24, but every one of them has completed the online SM/ASM position specific training.  Should I just not worry about what the report is saying?  Or should I try to get it updated?

9 minutes ago, curious_scouter said:

I have 4 ASMs who are showing as "not trained".  They all took IOLS at an out of council summer camp, I have scans  of their signed training cards.  Assuming that'll clear that up.  But they all show as needing S24, but every one of them has completed the online SM/ASM position specific training.  Should I just not worry about what the report is saying?  Or should I try to get it updated?

My advice is to keep copies of all your training records, cards, etc, especially if done out of council.  If you can get access to the my.scouting records, print the reports that they completed, and any completion cards they have, and give them to either your district training chair, or  registrar. The council registrar can fix the issue.

I remember one screw up with records that had NO ONE in the district  as trained, including out PTC faculty member. Spent 3 months creating a spreadsheet with everyone's information to submit to the Registar so she could reenter the records. 2-3 year laters, system crashed again. I kept a copy of the original records collections, and resubmitted them. 

• Upvote 2

Rule the first:::    ALWAYS use the same version of your name, everywhere in BSALand.   John L. Sullivan, NOT Johnny Sullivan, NOT  Sully Sullivan,  NOT   J.L. Sullivan....   

I had to spend a couple hours at Council Office to combine/merge  three different accounts I had somehow created in my Scouting Adult career.  How did I find out about this?  When I applied for attendance at a Scout thing and was told "NO", because I was lacking a course/training I knew I had.... in. a . different. name.  

Rule the second::::  INSIST ON and keep  a solid, card/paper copy of the "graduation"   from your course.  The Leetle White (or blue?) card as PROOF that you were there/then with HIM/HER....  Print it out. Do not depend on the eCertification.....

Rule the third::::    IF and WHEN  you have to spend that time in the delightful company of the Council Registrar,  insist she/he get CONFIRMATION FROM NATIONAL,  then and there. You should have ONLY ONE  BSA Registration number,  associated with your name  AT THIS COUNCIL.  Note that if you MOVE to another Council (so I have been told)  you MAY ( or may not) need to obtain a NEW BSA number, specific to THAT new Council....   

*sigh*  Rule the fourth:::    Re-read Rule the second>>>> 

Ummmm, time for new boots....

Edited by SSScout

The Trained Leader report at my.scouting can be difficult to read, but Scoutmasters / Assistant Scoutmasters need the following in order to be considered "trained":

• Y01 - Youth Protection Training Certification
  • Scoutmaster (and Assistant Scoutmaster) position specific training (online learning plan)  OR  S24 - Scoutmaster Specific Training (in person)
  • SCO_800 - Hazardous Weather Training (online only) - supposed to be renewed every 2 years.
  • S11 - IOLS (overnight campout / in person only)

If you have proof of the training (for example: training certificate for IOLS taken in a different council) then someone in the troop with access to the Training Manager at my.scouting can add your training.  With the Training Manager, they would need to go to "Add/Search", make sure the "Add Training" tab is selected, then select the program (Scouts BSA), select the course (Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills (S11)), enter the date, and then click on the blue "Add Members" button to select the individual(s).

At the troop level, the registered adult leaders who should have access to the Training Manager are the Key 3 (Scoutmaster, Committee Chair, and Chartered Org. Rep.), adult leaders designated as Key 3 Delegates (up to 3 people), and the Unit Training Chair.  Key 3 Delegates and Unit Training Chairs are functional roles that can be designated with the my.scouting Roster -> Position Manager -> Functional Roles.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, SSScout said:

Rule the first:::    ALWAYS use the same version of your name, everywhere in BSALand.   John L. Sullivan, NOT Johnny Sullivan, NOT  Sully Sullivan,  NOT   J.L. Sullivan....   

Good advice.

Rule the second::::  INSIST ON and keep  a solid, card/paper copy of the "graduation"   from your course.  The Leetle White (or blue?) card as PROOF that you were there/then with HIM/HER....  Print it out. Do not depend on the eCertification.....

Also excellent advice.

Rule the third::::    IF and WHEN  you have to spend that time in the delightful company of the Council Registrar,  insist she/he get CONFIRMATION FROM NATIONAL,  then and there. You should have ONLY ONE  BSA Registration number,  associated with your name  AT THIS COUNCIL.  Note that if you MOVE to another Council (so I have been told)  you MAY ( or may not) need to obtain a NEW BSA number, specific to THAT new Council....   

Unfortunately, council Registrars no longer have the ability to merge and retire BSA member numbers.  Right now, they can combine BSA member numbers under your my.scouting username, which is basically the same thing that users can usually do for themselves at my.scouting (using Manage Member ID).  However, you can only do this for yourself if your name and date of birth match exactly between the different BSA member numbers (goes back to your rule #1).

50 minutes ago, PACAN said:

I believe the Key 3 can add some of any missing training in myscouting through the Training Manager

Yes, key 3, Unit commissioners, some district folks, have access to the training manager. You can easily add courses like IOLS S11. to people's training records rather than trying to get it submitted to council. If your ASMs took IOLS out of council, it's unlikely that it would get entered into the electronic record. You should add those courses if you have access to the training manager. The only limitation is that you cannot add training for yourself.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, malraux said:

Yes, key 3, Unit commissioners, some district folks, have access to the training manager. You can easily add courses like IOLS S11. to people's training records rather than trying to get it submitted to council. If your ASMs took IOLS out of council, it's unlikely that it would get entered into the electronic record. You should add those courses if you have access to the training manager. The only limitation is that you cannot add training for yourself.

Units also have access to the Training Manager:

Scoutmasters (Cubmasters / Advisors / Skippers) - unit Key 3
Committee Chairs - unit Key 3
Chartered Org. Reps. - unit Key 3
Key 3 Delegates
Unit Training Chairs

If you run into difficulty adding the training, another person to contact could be your District Training Chair.