Camping Every Month?

3 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

What does your son's patrol want to do?  Get another adult, and take them camping, if that's what the Scouts want.  Does not have to be the SM on every trip.

Your guess is as good as mine.  They have a patrol name, but beyond that I am not sure there is anything remotely patrol related.

6 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Your guess is as good as mine.  They have a patrol name, but beyond that I am not sure there is anything remotely patrol related.

OK, then you have a camping club, not a Scout Troop.

"The patrol system is not one method in which Scouting for boys can be carried on. It is the only method." - BP

I would submit this is where you have to start.  

“The formation of the boys into Patrols of from six to eight and training them as separate units each under its own responsible leader is the key to a good Troop." - BP

If you cannot get other leaders to agree to this concept, and to help implement it, then you should leave and find another Troop...one that uses the Patrol Method.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 2
On 12/1/2022 at 9:12 AM, yknot said:

I'm going to be crazy here and say you don't need to make every single camp out an all weekend affair. We did plenty of local single night camp outs just to get outside during tough to schedule months or extra nights because someone needed one. You don't need to take a trailer, you don't need to cook feasts and lug tons of food. After work Friday night to Saturday a.m. works well. Plenty of time to hike and do stuff. 

I would not have appreciated this comment as much as a Scout as I do today as a parent. A weekend campout that requires less than 24 hours of my time is immensely preferable to one that forces me to abdicate my other home, work, and marital responsibilities for a full 48 hours.