Catholics turn

1 hour ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

What the BSA should have done in each case of alleged abuse is file a police report and let them investigate and worry about the prosecutability of each case. That's the "do more" that people think they should have done. (Including me.) It isn't the BSA's job to prosecute crimes, so while you're correct in that the BSA was in parts indeed trying to keep scouts safe (and sometimes succeeded, as detailed in both documentaries and as people here on the forum know cases of), the responsibility of enforcing laws and ensuring public safety lies with police. When you think a crime has been committed, you call the police and you help them as best as you possibly can. This is the principle, including but not limited to when the crimes involve the BSA and/or pedophilia. 

Yep. And then, at least the BSA has done its civil duty.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Poppycock.  The legal system found BSA with it's huge insurance and property assets liable.  In the same context, the parents, police, schools and the rest of society covered up too.  The issue is leg

The sentence is misleading.  Inferring a general rule.  It is the far, far exception and the outlier that proves the rule.  BSA had millions of registered adults.   I've read many, many of the IVF fil

I don't know when and where you were a kid, but I can tell you from experience in multiple councils (6) in multiple states, beginning in the early 1960's, that in those councils abuse was not 'pretty

Serious crimes were committed against our fellow scouts en masse. That really happened. That is the real problem. (And I'm glad you did acknowledge it in a sentence.)

Does this reference something I posted? If so, which sentence.

So when the conversation goes in a the-lawsuit-is-all-just-a-malicious-attack direction, the implication from a survivor point of view could very well be "I care more about the BSA as an organization than my fellow scouts and scouters". I can't speak for the survivors, but that's what I take away from what you're arguing.

It is not clear to me to which poster you are referring. But that is not my position.

5 minutes ago, SiouxRanger said:

It is not clear to me to which poster you are referring. But that is not my position.

Apologies for the lack of clarity - I'm referring to @HICO_Eagle when he kicked this tangent off with

On 8/5/2023 at 11:15 PM, HICO_Eagle said:

While I agree that Scouting as we knew it is likely done, I am not thankful for that condition.  I also disagree with the societal trend to blame BSA for past ills rather than the miscreants themselves.  Lawyers went after BSA because it had resources that they could reach easily:  land.  Going after the actual perpetrators would have been fruitless from the lawyers' point of view because many of them are dead or don't have significant resources.

Remember, the secret files that were used to prove the case against BSA were secret largely because BSA couldn't prove criminal charges against the men in question.  Even openly questioning them would have exposed BSA to liability for defaming the men in question.

In my opinion, these lawsuits and the resulting impacts are the culmination of a decades long attack on Scouting as one of the pillars of traditional American society.  The activists used vile deeds by a very small minority of people to attack and undermine the entire organization -- and then not only refuse to condemn that minority but encourage the spread of those very actions.  Just look at their current attempts to change terminology from "pedophiles" to "minor-attracted persons".

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

Update 01/17/2024:   2024 marks the end of an era for Catholic Boy Scouts in Hawaii  

The connection  between the Boy Scouts of America and the Catholic parishes and schools in the Diocese of Honolulu officially came to an end Jan 1.

The decision was made at the start of 2023 when Bishop Larry Silva announced the diocese would be parting ways with the Boy Scouts of America on the first day of the year 2024 due to sexual abuse allegations.

In a letter released on Jan. 31, 2023, the bishop wrote, “Unfortunately, given the liability issues and our dissatisfaction with the BSA’s cooperation on the issue, we will no longer allow parishes and parish schools to charter a BSA unit, nor will BSA units be allowed to meet in our facilities.”

“It is important that we continue to minister to our youth in various ways, but continuing our longstanding relationship with BSA has become more of a liability than we judge it prudent to bear,” he said.

The 10 Boy Scout units sponsored by the diocese. have either found new charter organizations or have disbanded.

More at source:

https://hawaiicatholicherald.com/2024/01/17/2024-marks-the-end-of-an-era-for-catholic-boy-scouts-in-hawaii/

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

‘Scouting is back,’ going strong teaching life skills to youths in Archdiocese of Baltimore

...Archdiocesan Scouting officials hope to glimpse the future of the programs at an April 19-21 retreat at Walkersville Watershed in Frederick. It’s the first since the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, and Father Jim Bors, appointed last year as chaplain of the Archdiocesan Catholic Committee on Scouting Leadership, hopes it will show “that Scouting is back.”

In addition to camping and outdoor activities, there will be talks on the rosary as well as eucharistic adoration and the sacrament of reconciliation.

To draw as many Scouts as possible, there’s a Saturday-only option, and it’s also open to all Catholic youths in Scouts BSA, Venturing, Sea Scouts, Exploring, Cub Scouts, Troops of St. George, Trail Life, American Heritage Girls, Girl Scouts and Camp Fire.

For Father Bors, a Naval Academy graduate who is associate pastor of Our Lady of the Chesapeake in Lake Shore and St. Jane Frances de Chantal in Riviera Beach, the retreat will be an opportunity to assess Scouting as an extension of youth ministry....

More at source:

https://catholicreview.org/scouting-is-back-going-strong-teaching-life-skills-to-youths-in-archdiocese-of-baltimore/