Another One Bites the Dust...

51 minutes ago, Mrjeff said:

One certenly does not "mess in your own nest"  because it is a career for many.  The BSA couldn't afford to pay me for what I contribute, but that's OK because like most I don't do it for the money.

It is a career for fewer than you think.  I do not know what the turnover rate is nationally.  But when I was a DE, we had 10 DEs, an FiD, and FD quit in a 20 month period. That was when we had 9 districts

59 minutes ago, Mrjeff said:

One certenly does not "mess in your own nest"  because it is a career for many.  The BSA couldn't afford to pay me for what I contribute, but that's OK because like most I don't do it for the money.

I do it for the money!  Our Committee just doubled my pay!!

$0 x 2 = $0

• Haha 1

Wow, so much to say. My dad was a professional scouter. You have to love it - not every tiny piece - but the program, its purpose and want to be part of the effort to improve or offer the opportunity of improvement to our youth and to all of our futures. The only possible true compensation you can hope for is not monetary. PS dad was gone at lots of night meetings and our family trips were mostly scouting related, but I am glad he chose scouting vs teaching, etc.

• Upvote 1

I recall a young DE that was at everything. He was especially blessed because his wife was right there with him.  We recently crossed paths about 40 years later.  He had a successful BSA career and is now retired.  Thank heavens for guys like that!

• Upvote 3

My district has had some truly bad DE’s over the years but we have had some really good ones as well. Our current DE is probably the best I have ever worked with. He has been able to walk that thin line between unit/program priorities and Council priorities.  A great DE makes a world of difference for district operations.

• Upvote 2
On 11/25/2022 at 8:10 AM, ALongWalk said:

My district has had some truly bad DE’s over the years but we have had some really good ones as well. Our current DE is probably the best I have ever worked with. He has been able to walk that thin line between unit/program priorities and Council priorities.  A great DE makes a world of difference for district operations.

Hopefully he can stick around and not get messed with.

My neck of the woods has not had a good DE stay over a year in 11 years. Since he left, we have not had  a dedicated DE, and they all sucked. Since the district merger in 2021,  we are on DE #4. One had Scouting experience as a youth and volunteer. One was fresh out of college with no experience. Third one was a Cub Scout and needed a job. Met him once for about 10 minutes. Current one I know nothing about. He was not at district camporee, nor RT, so I have not met him yet. Don't even know his name, but he has been employed since September.

• Thanks 1