It's finally come to this

9 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

I don't understand why the pros can't seem recognize the immeasurable goodwill embodied in the faithful volunteers and figure out how to capitalize on it.

But that goodwill is frittered away, time and again.

It may be that many volunteers have lost their confidence in the professional administration of the program and now will not trust a new administration.  The shadow is LONG.

I know many volunteers that won't contribute a penny, but donate tons of time.  I think largely on the sentiment of,  "The council can't afford to pay me to do this work, so I'll donate my time and that will be my contribution."

Because the money kept coming in... so the volunteers were expendable.

But they are slowly killing the goose that lays the golden egg, and they cannot see it.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is an opportunity to make OA relevant while bringing BSA back to the experience that most of us Scouters want for our kids.  It's not hard to imagine... The arrow flies true, just as the o

Wow, with friends like this, who needs enemies. I’ve been active in scouting one way or another for almost 60:. In all those years, I have never seen AO show disrespect to the American Indian/idigenou

I am sure that all of us could find some group of people that we have never met, that does not mean that they do not exist. I was a part of our ceremonial team for 6 years as a youth, well over h

12 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

My council, in my 25 year window, has gone from a very robust FOS model supplemented by a United Way model, to an "event model," that is, Distinguished Citizen dinners, and golf and sporting clays events.  FOS is nearly totally defunct in my council.

I can't speak to the specifics of my council's financials, but I've also noticed a shift toward the "event model," as you described. Assuming those events are successful, then I vastly prefer soliciting donations from rich guys at venues rich guys like to FOS.

I cannot sat about other districts, but in my old one, the abuse by he professional staff as mentioned above has drastically lowered the FOS funding.  combined with lack of  unit support and the selling of camps, they are lucky to get any FOS. Back in the day, we were in the $60 to $65K range, and now the goal is $3K.

A number of councils have instituted an additional fee per youth not to exceed the national registration amount.

This is to guarantee they will get what they could not convince parents to do FOS.

Councils wonder why their FOS is basically non existent from units.  DUH.   The parents view the extra fee as FOS of course.

It is sad to watch FOS chairman beg for units to do presentations.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I had a conversation about the OA on Thursday at Round Table.  One of the adults there mentioned that the chapter just had 4 new Vigil Honors.  I asked him where these Scouts were because they sure weren't at the Chapter meetings.  I never got an answer.  I asked about ceremonies teams for the Lodge.  He said that he used to have several teams, but once the Lodge did away with regalia, the kids lost interest.  Just wearing a tan shirt wasn't really inspiring.  The chapter was meeting down the hall.  It was worse than a Tiger den meeting.  The Scouts were flicking plastic forks around the room and generally doing nothing constructive.  We have inductions coming up.  I asked the chapter chief if we had a team.  She's learning one principle's lines.  I asked her if she was helping prepare the Ordeal members for Brotherhood.  Nope.  I asked if anyone in the room know the OA song or the Obligation - nope.   I tried to nudge her to open the Arrowman Jumpstart.  Nada.  I can't imagine what will happen if I recommend watching Polestar.  When I see a Brotherhood SPL Star Scout acting like an 8 y/o, we have a problem.   

• Sad 2

Just to talked to my daughter who is at her Ordeal weekend.  They are currently in the Dining Hall watching Lego Batman and I guess she got her phone to use.

She hates this weekend and telling me its stupid.  I am not sure if I will get her to even finish at this point... we have been working on that goal, but this may be a nail in the coffin.  Apparently everyone is ignoring her and she's feeling really left out.

• Sad 3

Sadly, there is a quality difference between now and the old days.  Frankly, having barriers to entry resulted in Scouts who actually wanted to be there, in my experience.  I've had the opportunity to observe two chapters in different lodges and am seeing different behaviors.  I also see differences in how those councils and districts work.  Part of it could be the demographics.  Both are near Army bases, but one district has far more military people involved than the other and this is evident in how business is conducted.  The chapters reflect this, even though many of the Scouts in leadership roles don't come from military families.  Maybe it's time for OA to be more regional than central, as it was in the beginning.  I know that will screw up the national conference and possibly section conclaves.  The upside just may be a higher quality program.  

Unless they "fix" the so called election process, including restructuring how many can be elected per unit, somewhat like twenty or so years ago, they will not see much improvement.  As already noted here ad nausium, it is no longer something most youth aspire to, as it has lost any real image or valid honor position.  Add the lack of barely any accountibility at ordeals on violating the simple rules, and we are where we seem to be now.  Additionally, unless the mystique is reestablished in ceremonies with those doing them prepared and "knowing" thier lines (not reading), it will continue to have little real interest other than the checked box.

• Upvote 3

I have been doing a lot of observing and am just sad about the OA and its trajectory. The program was so important to me from 13 to 20 years old.

My oldest daughter and I attended a few lodge events, conclave, and NOAC. I didn't hang out with her so she could make connections. She made some connections, but really didn't like the program. She volunteered to be an elangomat and will do so again in a few weeks. NOAC made it clear to her that she really isn't interested.

My middle daughter was just elected. She wasn't too sure as she "just wanted to be a normal scout". So, she will do the ordeal in a few weeks, but I don't see her "going all in". 

Chapter meetings seem worthless. Ceremonies stink as they are in uniform (I'd like the black cloths option) and the lines are read poorly from paper. 

I don't see it being meaningful in my family. It'll last another 20 years or so, at least, but it will go down hill. 

I was on NOAC staff and it was very very poorly organized. We weren't even told about the thank you gathering for staff members! 

• Thanks 1