It's a story (local scouting) that doesn't get told enough.

And most of us that peruse this site know that these things noted are still going on across the country, even a few are determined to stifle the reality that Scouting is a positive benefit for the comminities and has never lost this part.  The media might be better served to focus on the positives that continued, even as the vultures circled, and not on the small percentage of negative examples.  I have shred a similar story of our local activities and our super troop that drives conservation work locally in the NF and surrounding areas, while maintaining one of the best overall programs I have seen in sixty years or so of Scouting.  Thanks for shring.

Youth-planned adventure story told by a 13 year old scout.

https://www.pressherald.com/2022/11/25/guest-column-a-boy-scout-adventure/

...We all piled into a stinky but hot, and amazing bunk room. The views from the window of the summit of Mt. Washington above us was incredible. We decided to go out and explore the mountain, being careful not to step on any alpine vegetation. We even decided to swim in the namesake Lakes of the Clouds. We were then encouraged by the adults to go inside the hut as the storms we had been racing had finally arrived. It was one of the coolest moments of the trip watching the entire mountain disappear from the comfort of our bunk room in a matter of seconds...

Troop39MtWashington.thumb.jpg.21f11f3791c4c770dfe8740ae87b2e38.jpg

• Upvote 1

This Mt. Washington is in New Hampshire White Mountains and it does have a weather observatory at top.

https://www.mountwashington.org/

As I understand, a weather observatory (maybe not current structure) was in place when staff measured the world record 231 mph wind in 1934,

https://www.mountwashington.org/about-us/history/world-record-wind.aspx

Edited by RememberSchiff

Yes, this is the same Mt. Washington and it is one of the more fascinating and extreme places on earth, in a weather sense, despite being in the relatively tame Northeastern USA. There is an interesting book about the Presidential range and that particular mountain and the microclimates and changeable weather that can occur. It has claimed more than 100 lives over the years. The book is called Not Without Peril and it's good if you are interested in mountaineering topics and mountains. Things have greatly improved as far as support but it's still a dangerous place to hike.  A couple of people have died just this year. It's not someplace I'd take scouts, but to each their own.