Need advice on a difficult situation

Certainly the horse it out of the barn on this one, but, going forward you may want to set clear expectations for rank advancement.  You are the SM and responsible for the program.  For Star / Life / Eagle other the MB's, all the requirement sign offs you may want to be done by the SM.

In our unit for Scout / TFoot / Second Class / First Class the requirements are signed off by Life or Eagle Scouts.  Rank requirements are signed off by SM for Star / LIfe / Eagle.  They go to their specific ASM for the SM conference for Scout / TFoot / Second Class ranks.  SM handles those for 1st / Star / Life / Eagle.  If their specific ASM is not available any ASM can step in.  If we are on a campout or summer camp and SM is not there, then an ASM handles.

3 hours ago, Armymutt said:

I think the post implies that he keeps "a" hand in his pocket - probably the left one.  Sets a bad example, but not quite as bad as I believe you are envisioning.  I had to reread it the first time.

Yeah.  I'm probably reading more into that others.   One hand in pocket while other is up is common.  I eas reading it as two hands not up.  

Probably best I start stepping away.  I just don't spend enough time in scouting anymore.

Edited by fred8033
19 hours ago, fred8033 said:

you are keeping the scout spirit and SMC requirements for you to sign only. 

That is an excellent idea. I think I'll do just that. 

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice. Just writing this out helped me clarify things. Mainly, I realized that the right thing to do was to speak to the Unit Commissioner (who had signed off on these things). He, of course, had no idea of the situation until I informed him, and based on his and ya'll's advice, I think what I'm going to do is hold the SM conference as normal, but tell him that I'm disappointed that he seemingly went around me, and that I very well might have signed off on the requirement if he had brought it to me now, but that at this point, I'm going to inform the committee of the situation. 

He'll get his BOR, and almost certainly get his rank, but if they scare him a little about this, then I think that's probably the best I can do without making a capital case out of it, which I'd really like to avoid. 

• Upvote 1