Unit leader coverage for eagle paperwork?

22 hours ago, curious_scouter said:

Fair question.  I submitted my ASM application in February, my council still has not processed it. 

Uh, wow! Our council made a step change when we lost our very good,  very overworked registrar. We then hired someone new and they left in 4 weeks (?). We now have 2 people sharing the job and can ramp up each to 100% or down. It has been a step change. Applications, paper scanned applications, for adults and Scouts, entered the next morning, in the system late in the day, fully in the system the following day. 24-48 to full entry. We are spoiled. 

22 hours ago, curious_scouter said:

Fair question.  I submitted my ASM application in February, my council still has not processed it.  We've been skating by because I'm still considered a "Den Leader" which does make me a registered leader over the age of 21. 

Could be a lot worse. Over a 4 year period my wife submitted 5 applications for ADL or DL, including one that was hand delivered by me with all supporting documentation. She was never registered. We would find out when recharter came that she was not on the charter, and resubmitted everything again.

We found out 3 months into the charter year,when she was a WDL, that she was not registered when we submitted her for the Lifesaving Award. She rescued someone who had a heart attack and collapsed in the lake and was floating away. Thsi was while she was leading her den on a trip at a local park.

Eventually she got registered as an MBC, after I emailed her application. She was registered for a few months, then the national's system dropped all the MBCs in my council, and she said the heck with it.

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Sad 1

By way of update, during Scouting for Food this weekend I happened to cross paths with the district advancement chair.  Quick intro and description of situation and his feedback was "If you're the acting Unit Leader - act"  He was totally understanding and fine.  Good stuff, just as I hoped based on the feedback here.  Appreciate the encouragement and direction.

The saga of my paperwork holdup could probably be a book.  It's not entirely fair for me to say or imply it's council's fault... I'm just saying it hasn't been processed yet.  They work hard at council, I know it.  My situation is a combo of initially losing the paperwork and getting lost in new processes and tools which will eventually streamline all of this but in the short term is slowing thing down as people learn the new tools and processes.  I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel and recharter should provide us a sure bet if it's not resolved by then.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a position called "Key 3 Delegate". This is someone who can act in lieu of the SM or CC in their absence. I am an ASM for our troop, but was listed officially as a Key 3 Delegate for the troop a couple years ago when our SM was unavailable for a few months. They've kept that designation for me "just in case", and it has been useful a couple times, and takes the stress of the CC and SM to feel like they always need to be available.