Run "regular" propane and "coleman" style from one distribution post?

All the distribution posts I see go right on the 20lb tank and have 1lb ports coming off.  Anyone split a 20lb tank to something that uses a "regular" (sorry I'm not an expert on propane and propane accessories) connection like a barbeque grill, a blackstone, or one of the camp chef explorer dual burner type devices AND lets you put on a distribution post that we could securely mount a coleman style (mantle burning) lantern on? 

I only see these kind of distribution posts / trees:
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-FK-DP2PC-Distribution-Lanterns/dp/B099VY1GLZ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=propane+distribution+tree&qid=1667395694&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjUxIiwicXNhIjoiMi45MyIsInFzcCI6IjIuODIifQ%3D%3D&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=propane+dist%2Clawngarden%2C111&sr=1-4

The main issue is we need TWO "regular" connections now - one for our stoves and one for this pole.  We tried a splitter, but the pole does not rest on the tank so you can't secure it well.  We're going to try to "engineer" something with the splitter, but I wondered if a splitter would work and if anyone on here has a solution to suggest.  I looked for a pole with a pass-through port but did not see any which leads me to believe that the pressure needs are so disparate between the coleman stuff and "regular" stuff that it's just not a thing.  I suspect we're into "splitter" territory.

Never encountered the issue, but then again we never used the lamp at the same time as the stove, etc.  

Our challenge was always too many things close to each other and too many hoses coming off near each other.  The really bad was when multiple patrols tried to tap off the same large propane tank.  If you use a large tank, still have one per patrol so they can camp and cook separately.

Because of that, I prefer the small propane tanks for unit camping.  

But then again, I prefer white gas because of energy density and cold weather use.

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1

We gathered up the Scouts and adults at the last outing.  We discussed lighting options.  Option1:  Make it a patrol issue to figure out.  Option2:  Provide a lantern in the patrol boxes.

Scout consensus was - they wanted at least a lantern in the patrol boxes.

We then asked:  Propane or LED?
Scouts:  LED.  Propane's a pain, they break easy (mantles, glass) and we think they are a little dangerous, especially for the younger scouts.  They aren't as portable either if we only have the big tanks.

Ok.

We then broke out the box of lanterns the adults had brought from their "personal collections" and demonstrated them all, discussed pros/cons.  They ranged from the cheapie slide out LED lanterns up to $50 1000 lumen rechargeables.  We let the boys try them overnight Saturday and on Sunday...

We then asked:  What did you think?
Scouts:  Having a lantern was great.  We liked this one best, and think being able to replace the batteries quickly is a bonus.

They picked the cheapie LED ones, so we got them for $5 each at Walmart this week and a pack of batteries that will likely last us the rest of this year for less than two propane splitters.  They fit easily in the patrol boxes and ... they really do a fine job of lighting the work space.

Problem solved?  Time will tell :)

• Upvote 1

Ryobi?   I have two of their lanterns. Except for the lousy handles (which I replaced/adapted) they are rugged, the rechargeable batteries are relatively expensive, but in the long run are very economical.  The 3 and 4 amphour batteries will last over 12 hours at low light.  Note I covered one side with shiny foils, no need to light up the woods, just the work surface... 

Ryobi light.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We're trying these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-250-Lumens-Camping-Lanterns-including-3-x-AA-batteries-per-lantern/672927847

I picked these because they have a frosted globe, which diffuses better and blinds less.  Can can hang/tie them in any number of ways and they are $5 each and come with batteries lol. 

My personal favorite was this energizer one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-Rechargeable-LED-Lantern-with-Micro-USB-Charging-Cable/311235219

I got one to try (on sale for $21 at Walmart right now... I do NOT get a kickback ;) ) and kind of love it.  For the price, I am keeping it for my own use.  I love that it's flat, so it fits well in my gear setup and boy howdy - it's bright.  Tie this up in the dining fly and you think it's daylight.  But also has other modes. 

On 11/8/2022 at 8:42 AM, curious_scouter said:

They picked the cheapie LED ones, so we got them for $5 each at Walmart this week and a pack of batteries that will likely last us the rest of this year for less than two propane splitters.  They fit easily in the patrol boxes and ... they really do a fine job of lighting the work space.

Problem solved?  Time will tell :)

Wow.  Times change !!!!   LED lanterns are a game changer.  I never would have guessed LED lanterns would be a patrol box choice.  BUT, it makes sense.   Times change.

Edited by fred8033