Leading to Make a Difference - Leaving a Legacy

Sometimes you can plan and plan and plan in an attempt to do something will ultimately become your legacy. Sometimes it just happens without even as much as a second thought.

Last night at my bead ceremony I got to thinking about what would be my legacy with the Pack as I get ready to move on. I assumed (theres that word),that my legacy would be the reintroduction of outdoors programs to the unit. Boy was I mistaken!

This morning, at the Veterans Day ceremony, as I waited for my boys to arrive I didnt see Webelos hats walking toward the park. I saw Tiger Hats, and then Wolf Hats, and then little Brown Vests followed by larger Green Vests, oh yes and then came the Webelos Hats. Kids, lots of kids!. A far cry from the 7 boys I started doing this with three years ago. In the end there had to be 80 kids today.

Ignorant me, I turn to one of my parents and said, Isnt this nice?

Each of these small groups had a leader, and parents. I imagine they all asked the same question at the same time because almost at once there were people pointing in my direction. The question must have been, Howd we end up here today?

The parent I had just spoken to, turned to me and said, you know, youre the reason theyre all here, you did this.

I certainly never anticipated nor made an attempt to grow this beyond my Den and Pack. We were just doing the right thing. It just happened, and Im sure that from now on it will continue, even without me.

No we can not plan our legacy. The ones we try to plan don't normally work out.

I hope my legacy will be that I improved one childs life.

I look to my parents legacys. Both of my parents were very involved with kids. They were on the charter committee that started th NoArk Girl Scout Council in Arkansas. Had GS's before I could be in. My dad could be hard. When he passed away in '84, one of the boys I had gone to school with ask if he could speak at the funeral.

Our community is a rather small town. There were over 800 people there. Many in both BSA & GSA uniforms. Ken got up and stated. "Roscoe is the reason I am where I am today. I was headed down a path of destruction and he was the only adult willing to yank me up, take a belt to my back side and get me turned around, and for that I will be grateful the remainder of my life. It is also the reason I have the need to be involved with youth groups today"

At the time Ken was the District Attorney.

He was right too. He had been in lots of trouble. My dad touched one kid and gave him the focus to get himself turned around.

When mom died in 93. There were over 200 Girl Scouts in uniform at the funeral. She graduated her last troop from highschool when she was 70. Her only request of any kid she worked with was that for each year she gave to them they give one year back to kids. To my knowledge it is still working. Because 40 years after getting out of school 95% of the members of my scout troop are still giving back. Hopefully my legacy can be half of thiers.