Suspended Participation Notification for a Volunteer in your Scout Unit

For the first time ever I received a notification that someone in my unit was suspended from activities because their YPT expired.  Two different volunteers in two different units in the last few weeks, so I know it wasn't an individual being singled out.

I was wondering if this was something new everywhere, or if it was something new just my council was doing.  I know it wasn't happening in my council at least as recently as last May because I was a bit late with my own renewal back then.

Has anyone else seen this type of action or notification?

May well be happening in a lot of areas.

We are currently looking at any volunteer whose YPT expires prior to April 1, 2023 and working to get them renewed BEFORE recharter packets are turned in.  We have been informed that the recharter will not be accepted if there is anyone who might expire before the charters are processed.

1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

May well be happening in a lot of areas.

We are currently looking at any volunteer whose YPT expires prior to April 1, 2023 and working to get them renewed BEFORE recharter packets are turned in.  We have been informed that the recharter will not be accepted if there is anyone who might expire before the charters are processed.

That is correct and was already last year. One of the stops in the Internet Recharter is YPT, the other is CBC. One of my units last year had adults having their YPT expiring while Council was processing the recharter and it got put on hold and that unit nearly lost their tenure over an expiring YPT cert the day before Council was going to accept the unit recharter. 

3 hours ago, dk516 said:

That is correct and was already last year. One of the stops in the Internet Recharter is YPT, the other is CBC. One of my units last year had adults having their YPT expiring while Council was processing the recharter and it got put on hold and that unit nearly lost their tenure over an expiring YPT cert the day before Council was going to accept the unit recharter. 

For us it's been a number of years now that recharter won't go through if anyone is not YPT current, or won't be before the charter expires/renews.  So many of our adults expire in December because Recharter was the final KIA to get it done.

This is different.  Recharter for us is January; these are folks whose expiration dates were in October, they're supposed to be suspended affective the date they expire.

Edited by T2Eagle
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, sierracharliescouter said:

For the past couple years our council has been on a "YPT every year for everyone" basis for recharter, to eliminate the possibility of someone's YPT expiring while they are still actively registered with a unit.

Ours has as well.

17 hours ago, sierracharliescouter said:

For the past couple years our council has been on a "YPT every year for everyone" basis for recharter, to eliminate the possibility of someone's YPT expiring while they are still actively registered with a unit.

I would not be surprised at all to see annual YPT come about as a part of the restructuring plan once the bankruptcy if finalized.

So, we apparently have a system (and I may be incorrect in my understanding of the sequencing of events, dates, etc., so please correct me), where a volunteer's YPT (Youth Protection Training) Certificate expires 2 years to and after THE DATE of completing the YPT training. So, you complete your YPT on dd/mm/yyyy, and it expires 2 years later on dd/mm/yyy+2.

So, just doing the "date math," there are 365 or 366 days in the year and thereby 365 or 366 YPT Certificate expiration dates, depending on the date of completion of the YPT training. Well, how convenient?

Not only does this system maximize the number of YPT Certificate expiration dates, but maximizes the number of volunteer YPT Certificates expiring DURING the Volunteer's term of service for the unit they are registered for. And how are those expirations to be handled???

Now, I come from a council that recharters all of its units on 12-31-YYYY.  I do not know whether other councils are the same, but my argument can be adjusted accordingly.

So, how about a YPT Certificate rule that provides, that if you take YPT Training Sept through Dec, you are good for 2 years PLUS, that is, through the second recharter of your unit. (Again, assuming a 12-31-YYYY recharter date.) No volunteer will have their YPT Certificate expire DURING their term of service with their unit.  (And Councils that recharter on other month ends, can adjust accordingly.)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SiouxRanger said:

So, how about a YPT Certificate rule that provides, that if you take YPT Training Sept through Dec, you are good for 2 years PLUS, that is, through the second recharter of your unit. (Again, assuming a 12-31-YYYY recharter date.) No volunteer will have their YPT Certificate expire DURING their term of service with their unit.  (And Councils that recharter on other month ends, can adjust accordingly.)

Free thinkers will be ridiculed, ostracized, and banned!  Report to your council service center immediately for rejection processing.  If you really wish to push your idea, submit it in writing with higher denominations of currency, and we'll provide further rejection.

• Upvote 1

IMO Charting and membership (youth and adults) should be completely separate. The Charter is an agreement between Council and the COR. Membership is something else entirely. IMO, the Charter should not include any membership names of youth or adults, except the COR who attests to the current numbers of youth and registered adults delineated by troop and committee. 

• Upvote 1