Need Ideas to Keep a Troop Alive.

I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

As some may recall, I switched troops 4 years ago from a toxic troop to one that was not toxic, but slowly dying. Eventually the toxic issues with the old troop were resolved, and the troop is thriving. My current troop has been active, but on life support, and now we are dying. While we scaled back on activities during COVID, we did remain active doing outdoor meetings, day trips, and even our own summer camp. The problem is we do not have a Cub Scout pack to recruit from. Nearly everyone in the troop transferred from another troop into ours. When we tried to start a pack before COVID, we got 0 support from the council: no flyers for schools, no advertising, no meetings with parents, nothing. And that effort failed. As people age out, move, or leave, we have replacements. So we are dying.

I took over the troop this year, and I wanted to empower the Scouts to do more because we had some complaints about boring meetings.. I provided  training and tools for them to plan and organize meetings, and it was hit or miss with the SPLs. Most of the Scouts did not take things seriously. When my prime troublemaker moved, I thought things would improve. and folks would get focused on Scouting. But Interest among the  is still not there. I have heard more complaints about boring meetings. I share resources to improve them. Nothing. I had a conversation with the SPL about how he can do better, and he has a "no hope" attitude saying "no one listens to me." He does have a point, he was one of the troublemakers, but he was more of a follower. But he is not stepping up: missing meetings without telling folks, not having meeting plans, etc.

After the meeting with the SPL, one of the Scouts in a conversation about how the meeting went,  tells me that the SPL and his brother announced they are thinking of transferring to another troop. A third Scout then states he will be looking at other troops during camporee. This shocks me because during their SMCs about a month ago, neither one said anything about not being happy with the troop. Ditto during the BOR, as the CC was shocked when I told him this news. I do not know how long this has been the mood, but I would hope my newest ASM, who just aged out, would have told me there was a problem if he knew.

We lost one Scout after summer camp for several reasons, but the prime reason was that the guardian said  the adults need to be in charge, and not the Scouts. Her did not think his Scout needed to listen to the PL and SPL. This guy was an ASM in the troop 30 years ago and has son who is Eagle. Another adult in the troop, who is WB trained, said the adults need to do the planning and organizing, and let the Scouts execute. My old troop was eventually did this, have the adults tell the scouts what is to be done, and the Scouts execute the adults' plans. They seem to be growing. Another troop like that somehow is able to thrive without a Cub Scout pack. And another troop, which has the SM appointing all the leadership PORs,  is doing well, but with the loss of their pack that may change.

So that is the backstory. I know I left out a lot of details, and can expand as needed, What I I need are ideas to reinvigorate my troop. I want the Scouts to take charge,but I am grasping at straws at the moment. I'm trying to recruit folks, but no one is interested.

Sounds like you are doing what you can.   Unfortunately, sometimes there is nothing you can do if there is no support from the adults and scouts. There are lots of Troops folding due to having no Pack to feed them.   My friend has had 5 fold when their Pack folded.

Boring meetings:  What do they want to do?   Maybe focus the meetings on what fun activities you can do on your monthly weekend.     

Climbing.   Planning a weekend day and cover all the techniques and climb on safely.

Whitewater rafting, Kayaking or Canoeing

Cooking competitions using the techniques required in Cooking MB.  Scouts against Adults.

Wilderness Survival...building shelters

Geocaching/Orienteering...fun hobby

Rifle or Archery...can you find a range and qualified RSO?

Best of luck!

JMHO.

• Upvote 1

Im in a similar situation to some extent. Small troop and pretty good quality but recruitment is hard. We are having pretty good success at meetings with being largely scout run. At our annual planning meeting the scouts largely came up with the yearly plan and are largely implementing that plan. 

my big issue is getting new youth into the program. I can’t get webelos to come visit or even respond to inquiries about how we can work together.

Boring meetings:  What do they want to do?   Maybe focus the meetings on what fun activities you can do on your monthly weekend.     

This one has been mentioned by multiple scouts in many Troops.  You are definitely not alone here.  My son's best friend, who dropped out of scouts (from another Troop) said Boy Scouts is 10 hours of boring meetings for every weekend of camping.  His thought ... just skip the meetings and go camping.  His Troop had gone from ~60 scouts to 9 in the last 4 years and are on the verge of collapse.

I've talked with several parents in our Troop who were scouts 20-30-40 years ago.  When we met back then, we planned various outings during our meetings (in addition to scout skills).  However, kids today do not typically meet in person to plan activities.  They do it over Discord or other online communication tools.  One thought we had was to simply allow scouts to meet over discord to do planning activities (if they prefer that method).  Then, keep meetings to games/scout skills/advancement.  We would perhaps eliminate a meeting or two a month.  (Personally, I prefer the in-person meetings.  In addition, the PLC says they like meeting in person; however, I'm not sure if that is because they think that is what the adults want to hear. We haven't changed yet, but it is on the table).  

You have some tough choices.  I wouldn't blame you if adults step in a while to save the Troop.  However, it shouldn't be the permanent solution.  Perhaps adults plan a fun/engaging meeting and then meets with the PLC to show options on meetings and what can be done to make it fun.  I know we have had to do that time to time when our PLC isn't really stepping up well.  We debated do we allow several bad meetings to occur or step in.  We have done both and have seen allowing repeated bad meetings (to help the PLC learn) has caused more long-term damage to the Troop than stepping in and then working to teach/coach the PLC/SPL.  Either way, it's a tough call.

Program is what drive troop size. Scout run but you can push a bit. Something going on as scouts arrive, crisply executed meeting, parents around to help if asked, lots of outdoor fun events, patrol activities, pride. (Sorry getting carried away but if your troop has a good program, you will have a good troop.)

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of this might be summed up as "going through the motions".  I know this year in our Troop has been transformative because we've hit that generational shifting point in some leadership - both youth and adult.  I think sometimes troops get into a rut.  They do the same-old-same-old.  Maybe the Scouts think that's what they are expected to do.  One case in point, at the final PLC of last year the Scouts were planning the last meeting and it was a Court of Honor.  It was also one of the first PLCs I had attended.  When I said "What do you guys think about doing it at a pool or the bowling alley?  We can do the awards and then go have some fellowship" it was like this total shift in the room.  "We can do that?"  Well... honestly I was so new I didn't know for sure... but it sounded fun to me.  I said "I mean... as far as I know... you guys can do anything you want that we think we can reasonably afford or orchestrate."

Maybe look at the routine and see if you can break it up.  I feel like this has helped our troop a lot.  This plus a focus with the PLC on "intentional fun" has helped a lot.  "If it doesn't sound fun - make it fun somehow... or don't do it.  Do something else."  It's been helping with our group this year.  Some meetings are still "meh" but by and large the feedback has improved a lot this year.

• Upvote 1

Update

Talked on the phone with CC and had a discussion with the previous SM who is on the committee. Developed a plan and we began implementation at meeting.

Had a Thorns and Roses session about the troop. Everyone loves the activities we do: Whitewater rafting, backpacking, biking, etc. The meetings are what everyone is frustrated with as they are unorganized, or planned poorly. Poor communication within the ranks, and lots of arguing because no one pays attentions and or agrees. Part of that is we are the size a normal patrol, but folks want to have two 3 man patrols, ASPL and SPL.   They will be merging this weekend.

What got interesting was the interactions of the Scouts. Some were into improving the troop, including one that planned to look at other troops this weekend. He had some good ideas, and volunteered to help make some of the changes. BUT the SPL, who has made several comments about leaving, was not really involved. He would start to say something, stop, and look withdrawn. When trying to pull it out of him, he just would not comment.

As for getting more Scouts, we talked to the COR about trying to start a new pack. Sadly the temporary pastor was not interested having a pack, and when one was looking for a new home, was turned away. They eventually found one with another troop that was in a similar situation as we are in.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 1:37 PM, Eagle94-A1 said:

What I I need are ideas to reinvigorate my troop. I want the Scouts to take charge, but I am grasping at straws at the moment. I'm trying to recruit folks, but no one is interested.

I think we are all running against the headwinds of the current Scouts BSA program. The Eagle Rank has become the Aim instead of scouts deciding and running their own activities (hopefully in the outdoors)...which leads to character development, better citizenship, etc.

By the end of this year, 6 of my scouts will get their eagle rank, but the negative of that is my troop will be down to 3 scouts. We did recruit extensively, but the cub scouts went to another troop. It comes down to relationships with packs or other youth groups. Since there is really no replacements for me as SM and for most of the committee, I began the process of moving all my scouts to other troops in my city and my troop will fold at the end of the year. Since last summer, I have been serving two other troops which a few of my scouts (including my son) moved to. 

Looks like next year, I will be the SM for another troop that is also struggling to recruit with about half of the scouts aging out. The committee of this troop wants me to focus on eagle ranks, which will eventually see that troop also fold at some point. We are looking at getting involved with a Pack (which always need help from experienced scouters and scouts) to start relationships with parents of potential scouts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Owls_are_cool said:

... It comes down to relationships with packs or other youth groups. Since there is really no replacements for me as SM and for most of the committee, I began the process of moving all my scouts to other troops in my city and my troop will fold at the end of the year....

I think this is well stated, well thought-out and responsible.  Don't force a fight with a bad situation.  If another troop is doing well, you can be serving your scouts well by getting them into a larger, healthier troop.  It's not an easy or automatic transition, but it's often the best choice.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:27 PM, wearrepair said:

Program is what drive troop size. Scout run but you can push a bit. Something going on as scouts arrive, crisply executed meeting, parents around to help if asked, lots of outdoor fun events, patrol activities, pride. (Sorry getting carried away but if your troop has a good program, you will have a good troop.)

We (adults) can get so caught up on if we are doing it right that we get distracted from whether the scouts find the troop fun and meaningful place to be.  That means program.  ... Yes we want scout-led, effective PLCs, teaching leadership, etc, but program drives the health of the unit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
20 hours ago, Owls_are_cool said:

Since there is really no replacements for me as SM and for most of the committee, I began the process of moving all my scouts to other troops in my city and my troop will fold at the end of the year. Since last summer, I have been serving two other troops which a few of my scouts (including my son) moved to. 

Looks like next year, I will be the SM for another troop that is also struggling to recruit with about half of the scouts aging out. The committee of this troop wants me to focus on eagle ranks, which will eventually see that troop also fold at some point.

You are moving as the SM of one failing troop to be SM of another? 

• Downvote 1
11 hours ago, fred8033 said:

If another troop is doing well, you can be serving your scouts well by getting them into a larger, healthier troop.  It's not an easy or automatic transition, but it's often the best choice.

And sometimes it is not. Three of my Scouts came from the largest, healthiest troop. They are more adult led, and one person described them as "junior military." What they got going for them is the relationship with the pack. It is very strong. I lost one Scout this summer, and that was choice #1 because they are large and healthy. But it was not the right fit. They moved to another troop that is in a similar situation as us now. Prior to 2022, they had a feeder pack. Now they do not. But My Scout had a better fit there, and I hope they last.

11 hours ago, fred8033 said:

We (adults) can get so caught up on if we are doing it right that we get distracted from whether the scouts find the troop fun and meaningful place to be.  That means program.  ... Yes we want scout-led, effective PLCs, teaching leadership, etc, but program drives the health of the unit.

I think that is what has kept our troop alive. We have an active outdoor program, but our meetings are BORING. New PL is taking charge though.

3 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

And sometimes it is not. 

Agreed.  I'm writing from the point that I am comfortable now with units that shut down.  We should not feel bad or guilty or a failure.  It's just that the magic mix is gone.  Primary concern is giving our scouts (and our sons) the best scouting experience possible.  That might mean letting small troops close.  Not the right answer for everyone.  

4 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

You are moving as the SM of one failing troop to be SM of another? 

I let my son choose another troop, so I went to the adult leadership of that troop and asked them where they want me to serve. Initially it was an assistant scoutmaster, but the current scoutmaster's job makes it hard for him to participate, so I got the scoutmaster job. I was ready to step back, but I can do that job for a year.

• Upvote 1