Rayado, NAYLE or something else?

Hello forum! It’s been a while since I have posted on here but a lot has happened since then and I am again faced with a dilemma that I can not figure out myself. As a preface for this you should know my troop does things a little differently and (among other things) runs their own high adventure programs, this means we will never use a BSA high adventure like Philmont or Northern Tier. It has come to my realization that I would like to visit Philmont in the short amount of time I have left as a scout ( 4-6 years depending on how you look at it). Now the reason I am posting on here is that when November rolls around enrollment for NAYLE at Philmont starts, while NAYLE sounds amazing a Rayado trek does as well. Any input helps!

22 hours ago, jscouter1 said:

Hello forum! It’s been a while since I have posted on here but a lot has happened since then and I am again faced with a dilemma that I can not figure out myself. As a preface for this you should know my troop does things a little differently and (among other things) runs their own high adventure programs, this means we will never use a BSA high adventure like Philmont or Northern Tier. It has come to my realization that I would like to visit Philmont in the short amount of time I have left as a scout ( 4-6 years depending on how you look at it). Now the reason I am posting on here is that when November rolls around enrollment for NAYLE at Philmont starts, while NAYLE sounds amazing a Rayado trek does as well. Any input helps!

Any SM worth their salt would support a scout that comes motivated with information and a plan.  Research.  Plan.  Promote.  Make it happen.  That's huge and is what scouting is about.  ... If you are excited about it, then find a way to make it happen.  I'm betting you can find one or more adults (parents??) that would be willing to support your efforts.  

Edited by fred8033
On 10/19/2022 at 9:41 PM, MattR said:

Do the trek with friends. That will be memorable.

Or do the trek with strangers! Check with your council to see if they are forming a contingent or if a troop or crew is looking for scouts to round out their numbers. Many of my scouts took advantage of this.

On 10/19/2022 at 1:52 AM, jscouter1 said:

If you are a member of the OA, check out the opportunities available to only OA members at each of the HA bases. Special pricing, and special programs available only to youth OA members.

• Upvote 2

NAYLE and Rayado are very different propositions. I honestly think it is a mistake to  approach this as a "I want to visit a HA base" instead of a "I want to experience ..... activities offered by a HA base". Philmont base camp is essentially a bunch of tents in a field, fun to see it if you never had for a couple of minutes (or maybe an hour if you go to the store). It is the activities and experiences where it shines.

NAYLE is an extension of NYLT, you are going to learn leadership skills. Very classroom based.

Rayado is backpacking, in the wilds, walking a long way and seeing remote places with a pack on your back.

Both could be great experiences, but very, very different. I would come at as "I want to hone my leadership skills, and wouldn't it be cool to do that at PSR rather than in a random classroom somewhere" or "I would love to experience the intense backpacking experience in the NM mountains I can only access at PSR, along with the chances to do gold panning, horse riding and whatever"

If I were still young enough, I'd jump at Rayado, but that's just me. Other individual opportunities in a similar vein as Rayado would be Trail Crew or OA Crew, STEM trek, Ranch Hands. This is something that seems to be unique to PSR as one of HA bases is the wide range of individual treks. Be ready that if you go to Rayado and do well, you could end up working on staff for the rest of the summer (if you are old enough).

On 10/27/2022 at 11:51 AM, UKScouterInCA said:

Be ready that if you go to Rayado and do well, you could end up working on staff for the rest of the summer (if you are old enough).

Is there any truth to this?

14 minutes ago, jscouter1 said:

Yes sir.

4 years on Philmont staff, though in the 1970's,  A long time ago, but I do not think that the model has changed.

If you demonstrate the maturity and skills needed, and are of the right age, you may be asked to join the Philmont staff.

1 hour ago, jscouter1 said:

@jscouter1, you may not have noticed that BSA tends to recruit from within. Consider your the staff at your summer camp. Many were scouts who attended that camp and were recruited by camp staff. There is no better resume than the character shown over consecutive days.

That cuts both ways. Many staff chose to work at a camp because of the positive experiences they had while participating in camp programs. HA bases are no different.