I have discovered ILST is something that just isnt happening in my parts,.  So I am organizing an event for some of out surrounding Troops.

I have a couple of adults willing to help out.  Seems there are so many Scouts without any training that it will be hard to have any help present the material.

I think its going to be a full day Saturday evening a month or so before when NYLT is typically offered here.  (I understand a lot of Scouts go to NYLT without ILST first)

Other suggestions on how to organize this?

Games in between sessions?  

Make a lunch a "Scouts cook thier lunch" instead of just having something delivered?

Other......

If it isn't happening, then your approach is a good one to get troops going again. The concept, though, is that it is done within the troop. Our troop has made it part of our planning weekend. Mainly the PLC, but it is open to the whole troop, does an "end of winter" cabin campout that is a combo ILST / annual planning. It works well enough. 

• Like 2

I think that’s a great idea, especially if other SM’s attend and are inspired to offer it to their troops next time around.

We typically do an all day Saturday ILST for anyone in the troop who wants to attend at a state park lodge.  The lodge is much fancier than Scout Hall and they can hike to the trading post for lunch.  The ILST games are pretty good.  I had been worried about repeating them each year, but the Scouts either don’t remember them or just have fun doing them again.  I bring the troop ‘game box’ just in case!  

The Scouts have the option to camp overnight and then the PLC holds the annual planning conference the next day.  This also gives the PLC one last chance to get inputs for the coming year.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

If it isn't happening, then your approach is a good one to get troops going again. The concept, though, is that it is done within the troop. Our troop has made it part of our planning weekend. Mainly the PLC, but it is open to the whole troop, does an "end of winter" cabin campout that is a combo ILST / annual planning. It works well enough. 

Its my understanding in our District there are Scouts attending NYLT without having completed ILST at all, and no one cares.  Kinda of implies there are not SM making sure its happening in their Troops.  So... here we go.  :)

• Upvote 1
41 minutes ago, physics32 said:

I think that’s a great idea, especially if other SM’s attend and are inspired to offer it to their troops next time around.

We typically do an all day Saturday ILST for anyone in the troop who wants to attend at a state park lodge.  The lodge is much fancier than Scout Hall and they can hike to the trading post for lunch.  The ILST games are pretty good.  I had been worried about repeating them each year, but the Scouts either don’t remember them or just have fun doing them again.  I bring the troop ‘game box’ just in case!  

The Scouts have the option to camp overnight and then the PLC holds the annual planning conference the next day.  This also gives the PLC one last chance to get inputs for the coming year.

what games are yall using?    I do plan on checking out the book suggested by @Mrjeff

14 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

what games are yall using?    I do plan on checking out the book suggested by @Mrjeff

Just the recommended ones in here:

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/training/pdf/ILST_IntroSyllabus_9_11.pdf

Having a venue where they can go outside or explore helps them stretch a bit between the sessions too.

Edited by physics32
1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Its my understanding in our District there are Scouts attending NYLT without having completed ILST at all, and no one cares.  Kinda of implies there are not SM making sure its happening in their Troops.  So... here we go.  :)

it really means that people running NYLt don't care also.

I would expect that NYLT numbers are used to the councils rating (journey to excellent)

I feel at least in my council wood badge is the same first year scouter being signed up for wood badge to make numbers

john

• Upvote 1

The syllabus linked above was updated.

Here is the current BSA syllabus for ILST:

https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/721-07218-ILST-Facil-Training_WEB.pdf

Recommend you follow the syllabus for the first one you do.  After that, modify and adjust content of course.

Thanks for doing this!!

Here is the main page, and you can get Troop Position Description Cards there also.

https://www.scouting.org/training/youth/

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Thanks 2

And for games, here is a great resource.  Pick about 10 games your Scouts like, and build your resource box based on that.

https://troopresources.scouting.org/troop-games/

Many have videos that demo how to play the game!!

See main site for lots of other stuff

https://troopresources.scouting.org/

And another:

https://troopleader.scouting.org/

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

Ooh ooh! What is in your game box. I keep wanting to put one together, but fall short. 

It’s essentially everything for the listed ILST games and then all the games from the Program Features / troop resources site that the PLC has selected in the past year and a half.  Ropes, caution tape, rubber bouncy balls, empty paint buckets, blindfolds, a bag of individually wrapped candy, a couple of hoola hoops,and some orange soccer cones.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, what I was going to organize is not going to happen this time. :)  I ended up with at least one adult having a conflict with the date, personally I have never presented this course and not entirely comfortable doing it, nor were a few of the other adults I spoke with.  Moreso, I found there is a course being offered the next weekend nearby.  I will be encouraging our Scout to attend that event, and I am going to plan on going as well just to observe how to present the material and other logistical type things.  

• Upvote 1