Current BSA enrollment as of 9/21 with goal

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We hired a magician to one school round up and balloon artist for the other. We had about 20 and 20 sign ups. 

Our pack went from 33 last year to 67. All new cubs. It has been a crazy few weeks. 

This was on Facebook this evening. Circle 10 - 4% Overall Council Year-End Growth and 19% September Council Growth

Posted Images

i always wonder how they count. 

if a Webelos crosses over mid year is they count 1/2 and 1/2 , 0 and 1 or more likely as 1 and 1 (cub -scout).

never could find the bodies to match the numbers (I think scouts had a problem with that way back)

just my 2.3 cents 

john

• Upvote 1

I am wondering what the membership projection for court was.

1 minute ago, jcousino said:

i always wonder how they count. 

if a Webelos crosses over mid year is they count 1/2 and 1/2 , 0 and 1 or more likely as 1 and 1 (cub -scout).

never could find the bodies to match the numbers (I think scouts had a problem with that way back)

just my 2.3 cents 

john

They pick a specific date for the report. Whatever their registration is on that date is, that is what they are recorded as. For example, the  year my  youngest crossed over. if they did the report in February 28th, he was listed as a Cub Scout. If they did the report on March 31st, he was a Scout. 

48 minutes ago, MattR said:

I assume there's more to this presentation than the one slide? This slide alone doesn't mean much. What if the thermometer is cooling off?

The presentation was about recruiting and they were just recapping where they were at YTD. 

1 hour ago, jcousino said:

It’s a snapshot in time. my.scouting has this by unit for districts. The system seems pretty clear that it rolls all the way up to national. It is more or less live, so when we register a Scout, they show up that day or the next. It shows also the YA (year ago) number. Neat comparison. Would love to have access to the same report at council, NST, and national level. 

And is that all programs?

My crystal ball says yes.  With many double counts.

So... I was on the phone with the Scout office the other day inquiring about an account balance in the store...

A professional gets on the phone and asks me "How many new Scouts do you plan on recruiting this fall?"

"None!" I say. Because, paraphrasing... 'We took on 18 crossovers this year because, for most of them, their traditional Troops have folded.  We gained three Scouts as transfers because their Troops folded (and are awaiting the decision from three more Scouts).  We have four youth newly recruited to Scouts, many driving a good distance because the Troops in their area folded.  We planned and budgeted for 8 crossovers and two new Scouts.  We've exceed our target by 150%!!!  How many units do you plan on starting up this fall?'

"Thanks for the info! See you around!"

LOL

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

From the webinar. I assume that is BSA all in? Not sure if it includes exploring. 

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2022/01/26/fall-recruiting-was-a-smashing-success-now-its-on-to-spring/

In January as per the above Bryan on Scouting, BSA reported over one millions scouts so at 900,000 that chart from the webinar is actually showing a membership loss. 

Like the January figure, this would include a percentage of holdover scouts. 

1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I am wondering what the membership projection for court was.

There is a chart showing a progression that was included with the April (?) bankruptcy plan. I saw it once but have not been able to find it again. Perhaps someone on here would know how to find it on Omni. I seem to recall that the first year recovery plan projected something like a million scouts. 

1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

And is that all programs?

My crystal ball says yes.  With many double counts.

I assume all programs. I just noticed today that our one Scout who is a “multiple” isn’t counted in the district or unit numbers. She does show up on the roster. It is decently sophisticated. So, I think the data is cleaner than the past. But, what do I know.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

The presentation was about recruiting and they were just recapping where they were at YTD. 

Did they say where thry were at the start of the year? Usually when there's a thermometer, it's implied that it starts at zero, so in this case it would be how much growth there is ytd, but it's clearly not that. If there were 910k at the end of last year then being at 900k now is not great.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, MattR said:

Did they say where thry were at the start of the year?

I don't think they said. It would be interesting to know the number at the lowest point. Is the lowest point normally January? Cubs that came in Sept and didn't recharter? I bet it is. Or is it in March since charters don't get done until March? 🙂