What is the actual scope allowed in GTA 7.0.4.7 to dispute a MB completion

15 minutes ago, nolesrule said:

I have reasons to maintain registration as I am active in OA as a committee adviser and with council level youth trainings, which I enjoy, but those are secondary. I'd need to find a primary role in some manner in order to be able to continue my involvement in those things. That's something to I'll need to spend some of my downtime contemplating

If your choice is to move to another unit and you do not want to take on a leadership role with the new unit I would suggest contacting your District Commissioner.  Pretty much every district could use more commissioners, and that would allow you to maintain active involvement with the OA.  (although your BSA registration is still good for the remainder of the charter year - here in the CFC being Dec. 31)

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jeeeeezzzzzzz....................I am not going to discuss my credentials or Scouting position.  I will say that in our district and Council the BEBEFIT OF THE DOUBT IS ALWAYS IN FAVOR OF THE SCOUT...

I once went to summer camp where one of our guys finished his 500 word Environmental Science essay.  He was given a partial because his essay wasn't "good enough", so I stepped up to bat.  When the Ec

Based on your description, I am assuming the camp has been having photogrphs taken and then the scouts then make a sketch from the photographs? While I would not deny the scout, I would expect be

@MikeS72 My registration is good till March.

Commissioner service is a distinct possibility. I did that for about 10 years in my old council (WCFC, which merged with Gulf Ridge into GTBAC after we moved away). I am well acquainted with our District Commissioner and we have a good relationship. He also happens to be a Key 3 in the Venturing crew my older daughter is considering joining and was CD for the last 2 NYLT course which my daughter staffed as a TG.

I know CFC is big but I wonder if you know my brother. 😄

Edited by nolesrule
3 hours ago, nolesrule said:

@MikeS72 My registration is good till March.

Commissioner service is a distinct possibility. I did that for about 10 years in my old council (WCFC, which merged with Gulf Ridge into GTBAC after we moved away). I am well acquainted with our District Commissioner and we have a good relationship. He also happens to be a Key 3 in the Venturing crew my older daughter is considering joining and was CD for the last 2 NYLT course which my daughter staffed as a TG.

I know CFC is big but I wonder if you know my brother. 😄

You never know!   I am very active in my district, working with a Pack and Troop and as an Assistant District Commissioner.  Also volunteer as a Day Camp Director and Cub Rangemaster, am very active in OA and spend a great deal of time at our council camp.

21 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

You never know!   I am very active in my district, working with a Pack and Troop and as an Assistant District Commissioner.  Also volunteer as a Day Camp Director and Cub Rangemaster, am very active in OA and spend a great deal of time at our council camp.

He stepped down as Cubmaster of his pack recently as his son moved up. He's been on Wood Badge staff for the prior 3 courses (had to turn down SPL for the fall course because he needed a break with his son's bar mitzvah in a few weeks). He's been in OA since he was a scout, but not sure he's been active in Tipisa.

He's on the north side of Orlando, but works for one of the parks.

38 minutes ago, nolesrule said:

He stepped down as Cubmaster of his pack recently as his son moved up. He's been on Wood Badge staff for the prior 3 courses (had to turn down SPL for the fall course because he needed a break with his son's bar mitzvah in a few weeks). He's been in OA since he was a scout, but not sure he's been active in Tipisa.

46 minutes ago, nolesrule said:

So he did the spring course but not the fall course that concluded on the 18th, or last 3 courses including this fall?

I am looking at the staff roster from the fall course right now.

10 hours ago, nolesrule said:

… I am well acquainted with our District Commissioner and we have a good relationship. He also happens to be a Key 3 in the Venturing crew my older daughter is considering joining and was CD for the last 2 NYLT course which my daughter staffed as a TG.

Keep an open mind and see if you’d be useful on the Crew committee … especially if you are a good instructor. When I was an advisor, I leaned on my committee a lot, but one person at a time, because they had non-overlapping skills that together made for a solid general interest program.

• Like 1

@MikeS72 not the fall course that just happened. For some reason I was under the mistaken impression it was a few weeks later than it actually, was but looking at your calendar I see both weekends were in September.

So I believe it was the 3 courses prior to fall, but it's also possible there was a gap.

• 2 months later...

I've been laying low since this all went down and Tuesday is the last meeting i will miss. After discussing it with my children, we've decided to stick things out with the current troop. I attended one parent meeting and the December Court of Honor this past week.

I've slowly been communicating again with the SM and CC to get a feel for whether or not they have been holding a grudge. More with the SM since I've actually had need to interact with him at Council and OA events. Seems things have cooled down and we should be able to return to normal. If a conflict arises I'll be sure to do a better job of communicating. 

So, not having been at any committee meetings the past couple months it seems they have apparently chosen not to delegated the Advancement Coordinator role to one of the committee members with no responsibilities , and at the Court of Honor last week announced some changes to the merit badge process that could result in a violation of the GTA, but I won't say anything unless it actually comes to affect a scout.

1) They have to get the scoutmaster's permission to start a merit badge, and that he can say no and prevent them from doing the merit badge.

2) Eagle required merit badges must be done through the troop except under exceptional circumstances.

Meanwhile my older daughter has completed her Eagle project. She will have her SMC shortly and is otherwise in the paperwork phase of the process. I need to write that parent Letter of Recommendation this weekend. She also was elected as the Lodge Quartermaster. And she and I were awarded Youth and Adult Members of the Year in our OA chapter, which was quite an unexpected honor for both of us (we each knew the other was getting the award, so we can keep a secret).

My other daughter is progressing to First Class and she hopes to get it completed in the next month. Just trying to nail down an indoor pool to do the swim test. She really wants to have earned the rank in time for OA elections, which our troop does in the early part of March, so that's her self imposed deadline.

• Like 1