@ShadyRhoads

So the Camp Director was/is the SM's wife and she can't figure out how hosed up an operation she was running to correct this?

Speaking of running...run as far away from this camp in the future.   Tell everyone you can to do the same so those scouts are not trapped into this shoddy operation.

• Like 1
On 9/16/2022 at 3:09 PM, ShadyRhoads said:

Most of ours is staff and a few counslers. I do recall that no one liked this SMBC and he hasn't been asked backed. I myself had a run in with him as he wanted to know where my buddy was (buddy system) and how did I get through the rope that was in place to enter waterfront. Lol I was like I unhooked the rope and walked in duh!!!!

@ShadyRhoads welcome to the forums.

Some of us manage aquatics areas. Our priority is forestalling death. Being liked is nice when it happens. Your contempt of deadlines is not a good tell.

I’m sorry that your unit and your camp has fallen prey to skating by without using the Merit Badge Application (a.k.a., blue cards). The easiest solution is for the scout to find a counselor ASAP and complete the MB using the traditional paperwork. If he has mastered the skills, he should be able to knock this out in a couple afternoons at a local pool.

More importantly, the scout should make sure he has certificates for all of the other MBs he thinks he has completed.

First, this should have been taken care of in 2019. All of the camps I have worked at or been to over the years, the records are available after Friday night's campfire, and you can get your questions about issues asked then. Having worked summer camps, I know mistakes happen, and usually are worked out before troops leave. Camps vary across the nation. Some have computerized records, some do not. Trying to find records 3 years later may not be feasible.

Second, your scout may need to find a MBC and find out what they want to do. Sadly they may need to redo it as there is no record of it being completed. And Swimming is one of those with a lot skills involved.

Lastly this really concerns me. 

On 9/16/2022 at 3:09 PM, ShadyRhoads said:

I myself had a run in with him as he wanted to know where my buddy was (buddy system) and how did I get through the rope that was in place to enter waterfront. Lol I was like I unhooked the rope and walked in duh!!!!

As @qwazse has stated, the Aquatics Director and their staff #1 "priority is forestalling death." There is a reason why the area is roped off, buddy tags and buddies are used etc. At most of the camps I have been to, that is an automatic ban from aquatics for the week because everyone is informed of the rules during the camp tour. At one camp I have worked at, what you did would get you sent home. Sadly they did experience a drowning, and they do not ever want to deal with that situation ever again.

On 9/18/2022 at 9:05 PM, qwazse said:

I’m sorry that your unit and your camp has fallen prey to skating by without using the Merit Badge Application (a.k.a., blue cards). The easiest solution is for the scout to find a counselor ASAP and complete the MB using the traditional paperwork. If he has mastered the skills, he should be able to knock this out in a couple afternoons at a local pool.

If the scout has really mastered the skills in the Swimming merit badge, it really shouldn't take longer than an hour.  Definitely less time than you are likely to put into tracking down someone to sign off on previous work from a Summer Camp.