Hi, I am a Leader with troop 85. My son is a star scout at the moment. The year before the covid appeared during summer camp he had done all the requirements for his Swimming MB.

The Problem became the person who was over the swimming did not do his part and mark the paperwork that the scout had done everything required and not just for my child but many others, perhaps all that took the class. So now I am in argument for the past few years that just isn't right. He took the class did all he was asked to do but because the teacher did not do his part the scout has to redo all of it or choose cycling or hiking? Who's decision does this become and how should I handle this problem as my child is approaching Life Scout and needs the Eagle required MB to get his Eagle?

8 hours ago, ShadyRhoads said:

Who's decision does this become and how should I handle this problem as my child is approaching Life Scout and needs the Eagle required MB to get his Eagle?

I’d say between the SM and district advancement chair this can be handled. The Scout shouldn’t have to redo it. 

Remember: Scouts should never be penalized for the failings of adults (I’m grouping camp counselors in this group with adults). 

• Like 3

@ShadyRhoads 

Past few years???

Who is telling you what?   I don't know what you have done, but whatever the council camp you went to should have records of the classes etc and the Camp Director should be able to resolve this.  

1 hour ago, PACAN said:

@ShadyRhoads 

Past few years???

Who is telling you what?   I don't know what you have done, but whatever the council camp you went to should have records of the classes etc and the Camp Director should be able to resolve this.  

How long does the average council camp keep copies of summer camp records?

Based on the OP's statement this took place the summer before COVID, so summer of 2019, more than 3 years ago.

3 hours ago, PACAN said:

The Camp Director which is also the our Scoutmasters wife is telling me since there is no paper trail that the scout (my son) has to redo the swimming class. Although at the time she wasn't Camp Director, yet still knows that he took the class. Not sure why the person over the waterfront at that time did not do their part correctly, but there is so many scouts from our troop that knows my son did the class. It's just been a headache but tomorrow morning we have to be at the scout office for ILST so I will be bringing this up as some if not all the council should be there. I just wanted to get the perspective of other SM, Leaders or troops to see what they thought.

1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

How long does the average council camp keep copies of summer camp records?

Based on the OP's statement this took place the summer before COVID, so summer of 2019, more than 3 years ago.

Not sure on the record keeping, but yes 2019 is the year he did the SMB. 

He was going to go to the Aquatic center and redo it but I just dont think that's right....

Edited by ShadyRhoads
forgot word

Ultimately it is the scouts responsibility to have their blue card signed, and to keep it. The mB counselor is responsible for testing each scout on each requirement and then signing off on the blue cards. Attending a class may or may not have included the individual testing of the scout. MB counselors, even at camp, may not just count attendance at a class as fulfilling  the requirements as written. Thus without a specific record of each requirement being completed as written, the camp director nor any other adult can wave a wand to waive the sign-off on the blue card.

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

have their blue card signed

Haven't never seen or heard of blue cards. Our summer camp does not have anything like that. Maybe the MBC has it but not the scout The scount has a schedule of classes to be at and the time to be there. At the end of the class they leave and go to the next one. None of them have anything in their possession of what they done in class. I will be bringing the blue cards up at the next meeting thou as it sounds like a means to not have something like this happen again. 

Edited by ShadyRhoads
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
14 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

Ultimately it is the scouts responsibility to have their blue card signed, and to keep it. The mB counselor is responsible for testing each scout on each requirement and then signing off on the blue cards. Attending a class may or may not have included the individual testing of the scout. MB counselors, even at camp, may not just count attendance at a class as fulfilling  the requirements as written. Thus without a specific record of each requirement being completed as written, the camp director nor any other adult can wave a wand to waive the sign-off on the blue card.

Might be how it how it is on paper.  We got back from Summer camp and the staff was still entering completions.  We didn't know what our Scouts really completed till we were already home.  And there were no MB counselors.  Just staff teaching classes and no adults in sight.  Blue cards?  HA!!  All we have is a PDF generated in Black Pug.  

There might be a way that MBs are to be completed and recorded, but its not being done correctly.  And that is the fault of adults.

• Confused 1
2 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Might be how it how it is on paper.  We got back from Summer camp and the staff was still entering completions.  We didn't know what our Scouts really completed till we were already home.  And there were no MB counselors.  Just staff teaching classes and no adults in sight.  Blue cards?  HA!!  All we have is a PDF generated in Black Pug.  

There might be a way that MBs are to be completed and recorded, but its not being done correctly.  And that is the fault of adults.

Yes. Adults are most often the problem, and summer camps often facilitate the problems. Ultimately when the process is not followed it is the scout who loses not just because of lost paperwork, but often being shortchanged from a growth opportunity that should have been a robust mB experience.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Just staff teaching classes

Most of ours is staff and a few counslers. I do recall that no one liked this SMBC and he hasn't been asked backed. I myself had a run in with him as he wanted to know where my buddy was (buddy system) and how did I get through the rope that was in place to enter waterfront. Lol I was like I unhooked the rope and walked in duh!!!!

Edited by ShadyRhoads
  • Confused 1
On 9/16/2022 at 2:59 PM, ShadyRhoads said:

Haven't never seen or heard of blue cards.

Educate yourself, please.  Scout Handbook, page 418, outlines the merit badge process.  This is a BASIC Scout knowledge requirement.  Scout rank requirement 2d. 

Now, for your situation, accepting previously completed requirements (even is the Scout has a blue card)  is entirely up to the Merit Badge Counselor.  As a Swimming Merit Badge Counselor myself, if I was working with the Scout in your situation, I'd have her show evidence she has completed the BSA Swimmer check (I hate to call it a "test", because it is still a subjective measurement), and briefly show me each swim stroke.  If the Scout could do that easily, I might not peel the onion back any further, and grant the Scout any requirements she says she completed.  (Maybe with a bit of discussion.)

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 3