New Eagle Scout, should I wear the pin and the patch at the same time?

Hello my name is Austin. I recently had my Eagle court of honor and I'm wondering should I or could I wear the Eagle pin and Eagle patch at the same time? in late September I'm going to be interviewed to march in the Rose Parade. I already aged out and about to be 19 but I don't know what to wear for the interview and what to wear when marching (if I make it). I would appreciate any advise.

Thank you!

Hi @Austinb, and welcome to the forum. And congratulations on your Ecoh.

To answer your question, since you've already aged out you can't wear the patch. I'm not sure about the medal. You can definitely wear the eagle knot.

Good luck with your interview.

As other stated, you wear an Eagle knot, either this one https://www.scoutshop.org/eagle-scout-award-knot-5011.html  or if you are a NESA Life Memeber this one https://www.scoutshop.org/eagle-scout-nesa-award-knot-18092.html  .

The Eagle Rank pin found here https://www.scoutshop.org/eagle-scout-rank-pin-93.html  , which is worn in the same position as the patch since it can replace the patch, is for youth only. Most people never see those.

The Eagle Scout Award, aka Eagle Scout Medal, found here https://www.scoutshop.org/eagle-scout-award-135.html , is worn by youth AND adults on formal occasions, i.e. Courts of Honor, District, council, OA banquets, Blue and Gold Banquets, etc.

As far as the Rose Parade,  I would look at footage and see what others have done regarding wearing it, or ask in the interview process.

• Upvote 1

Depends on what you will be wearing to the interview.  If BSA uniform (are you still registered?)...you wear the Eagle Square Knot and also the medal if you wish.  If you have "aged out" and are not registered as an adult Scouter, you would NOT wear the uniform.  On civilian clothes, wear the Eagle lapel pin if wearing a suit or sport coat.

Welcome, Austin. Congrats on earning your Eagle Scout award.

I doubt many forum members have ever participated in such an interview, so it's difficult to say exactly what may be appropriate. Is it customary for candidates to wear Scouting uniforms to their interviews? As others have indicated, wearing your Eagle Scout rank badge is likely not the right option now that you're an adult. Even the medal might not send the right message unless your participation in the parade is somehow affiliated with Scouting. I've only worn my medal a handful of times as an adult and it's usually been pinned to a navy blazer at Eagle Scout COHs. If you're proud of your award and want to use it as a conversation starter, then I'd echo what others have mentioned and suggest you look for a tasteful Eagle Scout pin for your lapel.

Collectively, I'm sure this group has participated in hundreds of interviews, so if you want to make a second post with some additional details about the position and interview process, you'll probably get a few helpful responses.

Good luck.

Thank you all for the advise, I sincerely appreciate it. The interview is today so wish me luck. Little more Info about the parade in general is that it's only for Eagle Scouts and Gold Award Scouts and they did say to come in full uniform. but I don't know if that means I should wear the pin and the patch? thank you

1 hour ago, Austinb said:

I don't know if that means I should wear the pin and the patch?

We have already covered that you should not wear the rank patch as it is only for youth (under 18). One can wear the knot once over 18. But no, you should not wear the rank patch, ever. 

On 9/17/2022 at 12:21 PM, Austinb said:

Thank you all for the advise, I sincerely appreciate it. The interview is today so wish me luck. Little more Info about the parade in general is that it's only for Eagle Scouts and Gold Award Scouts and they did say to come in full uniform. but I don't know if that means I should wear the pin and the patch? thank you

Hope the interview went well.  If I were you, I’d wear the pin and your square knot on your uniform for the parade. But, the parade organizers might have a specific “look” in mind. That might include your MB sash as well.

Remember to not forget the most important part of a scout’s uniform: his smile!

• Upvote 1