Scout Camp Without Shooting Sports? New York...

Once again we are seeing the ignorance of knee jerk reactions and trying to solve a problem without anybody using common sense or rational thinking.

How, I have to ask, is running a proper shooting sports range dangerous?  If anything, it is something that should be encouraged.  Very few youth that are or have been trained "properly" to respect and handle firearms will become the fools responsible for mass shootings or dangerous handling of firearms.  That training should be a key in the gun laws, not discouraged.  

We are having similar concerns in California with one local gun club shutting down its junior program due to the legal concerns with a new Calfirnia law related to advertising firearms and related materials to youth.  It does not specifically single out the youth range programs, but the club is afraid of the irrational legal vultures that will twist it to their advantage.  It could change, but currently, they will no longer allow youth in their firearm programs.  

Much of this just adds to the ignorance of our legal system much of the time, and the lack of simple common sense and paranoia.  

I haven't read the law, but given that this alleged interpretation is coming from a piece written by someone who lists no bio with their writing, on a site that lists no identifying information or publisher on its website, I am deeply skeptical that there is much if any credibility here.

Here is the FAQ from the state:

Q: Do the new laws affect how and where hunter education training can occur?

A: No. Possession of firearms, rifles, and shotguns is lawful for hunter education training in “sensitive locations” including schools, camps, fish and game clubs, and public libraries. As was the case prior to the recent law changes, possession of firearms and live-fire exercises associated with hunter education training may only be conducted with permission from the property owner prior to the training.

I think if every camp in NY State had just lost the ability to run shooting sports we woud have heard about it.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
7 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

I haven't read the law, but given that this alleged interpretation is coming from a piece written by someone who lists no bio with their writing, on a site that lists no identifying information or publisher on its website, I am deeply skeptical that there is much if any credibility here.

Here is the FAQ from the state:

Q: Do the new laws affect how and where hunter education training can occur?

A: No. Possession of firearms, rifles, and shotguns is lawful for hunter education training in “sensitive locations” including schools, camps, fish and game clubs, and public libraries. As was the case prior to the recent law changes, possession of firearms and live-fire exercises associated with hunter education training may only be conducted with permission from the property owner prior to the training.

I think if every camp in NY State had just lost the ability to run shooting sports we woud have heard about it.

I do not remember all the details, but 20+ years ago I met a DE who worked in New York State. He was the program director for that council's summer camp, which straddled hte NY-NJ state line. He told me that because of NY's firearms laws, the camp moved the shooting sports area to the NJ section of the camp.

The article is weird. Not sure why they suggest NY units go to West Virginia or Ohio instead, when there are plenty of good camps in New Jersey and Pennsylvania with good shooting sports programs.

I'm also not even convinces that the new law will actually shut down shooting sports programs in NY camps. It's unclear from this "article" what exactly the law would do to scout camps in this regard.