Accidental shooting at Aloha Council camp news

From the referenced news article the BSA's attorney  "Ashida retorted that in its nearly 120-year history the Boy Scouts have never had a firearm fatality. "That's never happened, " he said."

If that's true it's somewhat surprising and pretty impressive given the sheer volume of kids who have been involved and must have participated in shooting sports.

I also have to say that every time this incident pops up I'm astounded by the poor judgment on the part of every adult present.  How is it that none of them recognized how wrong an idea it was to bring their own completely inappropriate arsenal to a scout camp.  

If I even had an inkling that something like this was going on with my own troop I would have shut it down or gone to whatever authority was necessary up to and including law enforcement to put a stop to it.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just to be clear, accidental death, sometimes called involuntary manslaughter, is still a crime. In the military it can lead to dishonorable discharge and/or jail. An example I found of involuntary ma

National sent out a Scout Executive Packet last July, just weeks before the fatal shooting,  warning of  a pattern of failing to follow SOP's as discovered  from 30 shootings (13 injuries) at sanction

Intentional or not has nothing to do with if the incident was the result of negligence.  Negligence occurs when someone fails to do something, like make sure a loaded semi-automatic weapon is not able

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

From the referenced news article the BSA's attorney  "Ashida retorted that in its nearly 120-year history the Boy Scouts have never had a firearm fatality. "That's never happened, " he said."

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, T2Eagle said:

If that's true it's somewhat surprising and pretty impressive given the sheer volume of kids who have been involved and must have participated in shooting sports.

About 500,000 youth annually are involved in 4-H shooting sports programs, more than scouts and it's a lot more involved. I haven't heard of any similar tragedies in 4-H, although perhaps there are some. 

8 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

If that's true …

It’s not true. All of the standard operating procedures didn’t come out of thin air. Someone somewhere got hurt.

There’s a thread somewhere in this forum about a suicide at camp.

It may be that the quote is out of context. On a range following protocols to the letter, it’s hard to imagine how a fatality could occur.

I hope to high heaven that 4-H has never experienced anything like this.

9 hours ago, T2Eagle said:

… I'm astounded by the poor judgment on the part of every adult present.  How is it that none of them recognized how wrong an idea it was to bring their own completely inappropriate arsenal to a scout camp.  

How this happens? The modern interpretation of second amendment rights lends itself to gun enthusiasts who are not (possibly never were) part of a well-trained local militia.

• Upvote 3
  • 4 weeks later...