The only person who can hold more than one REGISTERED position in a unit is the COR who can also serve as committee chair.

SM/ASM cannot hold any other REGISTERED position.  Many people consider things like secretary, treasurer, advancement chair to be registered positions -- they are not, they are functional roles.  When chartering a committee has to have a Committee Chair and at least 21 Committee Members; what roles those committee members take on is of no concern outside the unit.  I know of several ASMs who also handle advancement for their units as that is a functional role, not a registered position.

• 2 weeks later...

Typo (for anyone who reads this in the future)

On 8/30/2022 at 9:31 PM, MikeS72 said:

a committee has to have a Committee Chair and at least 21 Committee Members; …

Should be “At least 2 committe members”

• Haha 1

I feel like this is something important to note in this conversation. In the Troop Committee Guidebook, it states in chapter 8: "The Scoutmaster (or assistant Scoutmaster) is not a member of the troop committee and has no vote." (Chapter 8, page 35) This book is old but it doesn't have a newer version. 

Troop Committee Guidebook: http://www.commissioner-bsa.org/kit/Troop Committee Guidebook 34505.pdf or just search 'bsa committee guidebook'

• Upvote 1
On 9/13/2022 at 10:35 PM, Jmatt0613 said:

I feel like this is something important to note in this conversation. In the Troop Committee Guidebook, it states in chapter 8: "The Scoutmaster (or assistant Scoutmaster) is not a member of the troop committee and has no vote." (Chapter 8, page 35) This book is old but it doesn't have a newer version. 

Troop Committee Guidebook: http://www.commissioner-bsa.org/kit/Troop Committee Guidebook 34505.pdf or just search 'bsa committee guidebook'

This is correct.