I have seen it done for Eagle Scouts, past SMs, Silver Beavers, significant donors, etc.  "Hard-working" is a pretty subjective criteria, and I would think could lead to omissions and hard feelings.  Unless there are objective criteria such as I mentioned, I would vote no.

• Upvote 1

My Troop puts the name and year of Eagle Scouts on the trailer doors. On the front of one of the trailers we have a "In Memory Of" and the names of volunteers who were members of the Troop when they passed. Thankfully it's a short list. 

2 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

My Troop puts the name and year of Eagle Scouts on the trailer doors. On the front of one of the trailers we have a "In Memory Of" and the names of volunteers who were members of the Troop when they passed. Thankfully it's a short list. 

In Memory Of” is a cool idea. We also put our Eagles on the trailer. That tradition save another troop in town when an ASM  found himself following their troop trailer on a normal work day. He called the police and followed the trailer until the police pulled the thieves over.

We try to recognize our hard working volunteers at every COH.

Barry

13 hours ago, wearrepair said:

I know that some troops have a "hall of fame" to honor their hard-working members. Our district talked about doing this. Any comments? Should we grandfather some into it?  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Our district gives out annual Award of Merit, SM of the year, SPL of the year, Committee member of the Year, etc.  There are also of course the council awarded things like Silver Beaver.  

Does your council and district also already have these awards?  If so I'm not sure what else a Hall of Fame would capture.

Personally, I would let the council/district stick with their "standard" awards and have troops do things of that nature for their own members. For example, our packs/troops use a woodworking guy to make unique plaques for their own members. That way, there's no "hostility" across the district/council. To make it a little more special though, we will give that member their award at a district or council banquet. 

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, wearrepair said:

Yes, we have district awards, etc. This was to recognize sustaining service over time. 

We have a memorial garden at our camp. A tree is planted for those who pretty much dedicated their life to scouts.

Unfortunately, few people really know about it other than those that have spent a lot of time volunteering. But that makes sense in a way.

Edited by MattR
typo
  • Upvote 1