New Den Leader - Returning to Scouting After 15+ Years

17 hours ago, ajherkert said:

Similar story here! Earned rank of Eagle in 2003, and went on to spend a couple more years involved with my troop, then pursued Outdoor Leadership activities through other associations like NOLS. I was in the Scouts since Tiger age (we started in 1st grade back in my Day) and it was a big part of my upbringing and shaped who I am. Loved summer Camp the most but then got real into the High adventure world and never looked back...

it's been 15+ years since my last time doing anything Scouting related! Excited to be back in Uniform.

My oldest is also 5 and starting as a Lion. I just spent $350 at the local scout store to get ready for the season, Lol

Welcome @ajherkert!

Wow, lots of parallels here. In addition to being a new Lion Den Leader, I also earned my Eagle award in 2003.

I'm excited to have this experience with my son; however, I'm quickly finding it'll be one very different from my youth. Not only have there been some major changes to the program (most of them for the better), but also, I'm starting to see liability in places where I once saw fun. I'm not too worried about putting on a good program for the kids (it doesn't take much to stir their imaginations); rather, my biggest concern is keeping the calendar well-organized for the parents' sake and not overloading the scouts.

Oh man - Liability VS Fun sounds like the entire challenge of  adult Scout Leadership summed up in one  equation, lol. 

great to know you virtually, and to be on this journey together. I am sure we have a lot of fun and rewarding times ahead for the kids. 

and Congratulations on your Eagle, class of '03 was a good one! 

Yeah, distance to Scout Shop's a thing.  Once you get the uniform and get to know some folks, I've found it pretty easy to ask "anyone going"?  Making the trek for the uniforms is almost mandatory so they can try them on.  Side benefit here at least is MOST of the patches you'd have to buy and then get sewn on are already on the uniforms at the shop.  I might drive 900 miles if it meant 10 patches are perfectly affixed on purchase :)  I know you're not in Patches-on-shirts territory yet, but will be soon and it's worth it (my humble opinion).  Buy them big when you get to that point.

I've used ScoutStuff.org / ScoutShop.org periodically too.  They are very good, relatively fast shipping (not Amazon prime) and I once received a damaged handbook and they replaced it right away with no questions.  Outside of the fact that returns are harder and shipping is not free, it's a decent option.

• Thanks 1