National Scouting Survey

6 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Never put your name on a survey with BSA.  They are not anonymous, and all responses will be given to your SE and up.  Nothing good can come of it unless you wear several pairs of rose colored glasses and offer lots of money.

Sad but true. Especially the ones that come to your email. They are not anonymous.

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, skeptic said:

I just looked at the survey via the link shared, and I frankly do not see what some suggest is trying to raise money, or make a profit.  Is the link not inclusive of the survey?

It's a marketing pitch pure and simple.  They're not asking any questions that would give them any real insight as to how to improve the program or prioritize any part of it.  At best they'll use the answers to either refine their giving pitch broadly, or they'll use your particular answers to tailor a pitch to you directly, but what it absolutely isn't is an opinion survey that would yield any useful insight about how to make a better scouting.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, skeptic said:

I just looked at the survey via the link shared, and I frankly do not see what some suggest is trying to raise money, or make a profit.  Is the link not inclusive of the survey?

First -  Question 9

9. How likely are you to recommend financially supporting the Boy Scouts of America to others? *

Second, when I tried to submit, it took me to : https://donations.scouting.org/

And Third and finally, when asked, I said I live in California, and the message I received was:
"Whoops! At this time, we are encouraging donors from the following states to give to their local councils. California, District Of Columbia, Illinois, Kansas, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Tennessee, Virgin Islands, Washington, Wisconsin."

I took that as it is trying to raise money and not me just having some negative bias from the get-go.
Edited by Navybone
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, skeptic said:

Do not see that, but some likely do, especially those that tend to a negative bias from the get go.  But, just a view.  Will leave it there, and move on to something more positive and important.

It's not negative it's factual. This is also how political campaigns fundraise. If you are motivated enough to answer a survey question the likelihood increases that you will also be motivated to donate. 

• Upvote 3

To me it read as a survey to understand how to write a fundraising plea. For example, if you have no intent on donating or recommending someone donate then they might ignore your other answers. Given the billions of dollars spent on bankruptcy it doesn't sound nefarious. Yes, there are other problems I'd rather see worked on but if your job is fundraising then it makes sense.