National Scouting Survey

• Question 1 - how are you involved in scouting
  • Question 2 - Which scouting value most compelling
  • Question 3 - Which value least compelling (only 4 listed and not sure how you would pick any of these)
  • Question 4 - Which trait is most important (honestly, probably the only question in the entire survey that is useful for feedback on program development)
  • Question 5 - How important to you that BSA survives
  • Question 6 - Why did pick the rank you did in Q5
  • Question 7 - How have you supported BSA in the past
  • Question 8 - Why did you support BSA
  • Question 9 - How likely to financially support BSA
  • Question 10 - Why did you answer as you did in Q9
  • Question 11 - Overall outlook of BSA in future
  • Name, Email, etc.

Other than Question 4, I don't see any of these questions leading to any input into program priorities at all.  This seems to be clearly a collection of data to give someone to make a fundraising pitch in the future.  They can use some answers to prioritize and then personalize the pitch based on the rest.

I don't take this as negative, it is probably the right strategy to fundraise.  BSA, as part of their recovery meeting, mentioned they believe they need to raise $400M in donations as they exit bankruptcy.  This will require both large & small donations and separate from FOS.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:
  • Question 1 - how are you involved in scouting
  • Question 2 - Which scouting value most compelling
  • Question 3 - Which value least compelling (only 4 listed and not sure how you would pick any of these)
  • Question 4 - Which trait is most important (honestly, probably the only question in the entire survey that is useful for feedback on program development)
  • Question 5 - How important to you that BSA survives
  • Question 6 - Why did pick the rank you did in Q5
  • Question 7 - How have you supported BSA in the past
  • Question 8 - Why did you support BSA
  • Question 9 - How likely to financially support BSA
  • Question 10 - Why did you answer as you did in Q9
  • Question 11 - Overall outlook of BSA in future
  • Name, Email, etc.

Other than Question 4, I don't see any of these questions leading to any input into program priorities at all.  This seems to be clearly a collection of data to give someone to make a fundraising pitch in the future.  They can use some answers to prioritize and then personalize the pitch based on the rest.

I don't take this as negative, it is probably the right strategy to fundraise.  BSA, as part of their recovery meeting, mentioned they believe they need to raise $400M in donations as they exit bankruptcy.  This will require both large & small donations and separate from FOS.

This isn't terribly sophisticated in look but it is classic strategy. The questions basically reinforce positive attributes or connections to scouting, even when posed as a negative question. The question simply repeats the four positive points to stay on message and influence behavior. Even when it's asking it in a negative way the question just reframes and restates the positive. This survey is triggering positive connections and reactions to scouting with the design and the way the questions are asked. If they really wanted your input on what works or doesn't works for a fundraising campaign, they would be asking different questions. This has been designed by a survey/development (fundraising) consultant. It is getting you to think, hey yes, I'm a scouter. Yes, scouting accomplishes all these wonderful things. How can I possibly say one is less important than the other? Gee, it's important to me that it survives. Yes, I've supported scouting in the past. Gee, I should support it again/now. If I support it now, I'll be part of a better future for scouting... Scouting is not doing anything nefarious that others aren't doing, but it's not factual to think it is anything other than a fundraising tactic. 

• Upvote 1