Merit Badge Pamphlet accessibility - how does your Troop approach these?

19 hours ago, Eagle_Chris said:

I also think the digital worksheets PDFs most Scouts download could be packaged with the content.

No thank you. Scouts already have too much school at school. I hate the worksheets/ workbooks. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish the MBP were rolled into scoutbook. Even if it were something like a subscription at the troop level to have them in a reasonable check out/in format, it would be better. The paper ones made se

I think an MBC should have the pamphlets for the MBs he or she covers.  This is especially true for technical subjects.  I'm an MBC for Veterinary Medicine, Animal Science, Pets, and Public Health.  T

^ I will say that the Scout Life website has a good set of pages set up for the Programming merit badge that speaks to the requirements much better than any pamphlet could. Includes a list of various

1 hour ago, mrjohns2 said:

No thank you. Scouts already have too much school at school. I hate the worksheets/ workbooks. 

I agree. I did not like the worksheets in the later 20th C and we are now more than twenty years into the next. We can move past the worksheets and even the pamphlets. If we want to modernize them, do not just make digital versions of the paper product instead we go to video. "how to do a j-stroke" video. Wait, it already exists thanks to the experts at canoeing tv on youtube.  All that is necessary is for national to keep a website updated with the the requirements. No pdf necessary, just the website and links to relevant youtube videos for specific information. I would not recommend they try to parse all the links by requirement, instead just a broad list (at most parse it by category). Continuing with the canoeing example:

Canoeing mB Requirements (current date)

etc...

Resources:

link to American Canoe Association Website

link to other canoeing websites

How to Videos:

link to ACA videos on youtube

link to other videos...

Broken Link Report Button

^ I will say that the Scout Life website has a good set of pages set up for the Programming merit badge that speaks to the requirements much better than any pamphlet could. Includes a list of various Programming languages they can use, along with some sample programs/files to tinker with:

Programming merit badge – Scout Life magazine

that site became the 'pamphlet' that my son could follow along with when he was learning the basics of his three languages.

Edited by IndyDad
  • Upvote 2