Summer Camp Alternative

9 hours ago, qwazse said:

My apologies if I didn’t mention Camp Potomac, although it would have added miles, and I’m not sure if there is a safe enough back-country route to it.

On the other hand, IQ did not PM me to arrange delivery of some outstanding espresso.

Oh, and was that supposed to be me delivering outstanding espresso to you, or vice versa?? 🤪

• Haha 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish we would so our own, despite all the work it is. I was trying to talk the troop into doing a 50 miler on the AT since  summer camps are over $400 this year. Not only did the committee chair say

If you are looking for a weeklong merit badge factory, then a council camp is your best bet.  If you're looking for adventure, it can best be accomplished elsewhere, and usually for much less.

IMO, the real reason to do a roll your own camp is to do a completely original adventure. - canoe trip -backpacking trip -bike/hike -WW rafting -wilderness survival/bushcraft

On 8/14/2022 at 5:56 PM, InquisitiveScouter said:

We just finished a week-long cycling trek on the Great Allegheny Passage...Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD.  Started from Camp Guyasuta ( @qwazse stomping ground).  Eleven Scouts (14 and up) and four adults,    Including fuel and tolls, and some donated MREs for two of our meals, and we hit $152 per person (Scouts spent a bit more for their lunch on the drive out, and ice cream stops along the trail!!!) Free camping in a few places along the trail.  Camping also at Ohiopyle State Park, Corps of Engineers campground in Confluence, PA,  and the YMCA in Cumberland, MD, at the end. (although I'd recommend finding an alternative to that one.)  We logged 168 miles total,  used a SAG Wagon. Great trip, and, with two local shakedown rides to prep, all riding requirements for Cycling MB complete.  50-miler award and NPS Resource Stewardship Scout Ranger opportunities also. Seven days (including travel days on front and back) total, six nights camping, five days cycling.

Doing your own adventures is far more Thrifty!

DATS WAD HEM TAWKIN BOUT  ! !  

Wonderful.....   The GAP is a made for this trail.   Mostly old railroad bed. 90% downhill or level all the way.   Wished I'd had the time to join you....

Just to pass on a comment from a SM that caught me by surprise, but intriguing (and I paraphrase to get all the ideas in context):  "We did an alternative summer camp by camping at a number of different state parks and private camps/facilities.  We'd spend a day or two at each, then driving to the next.  The kids planned it all.  We brought the adult talent to do program, but the facilities were provided by the parks and private camps. Done this a number of years."

58 minutes ago, SiouxRanger said:

Just to pass on a comment from a SM that caught me by surprise, but intriguing (and I paraphrase to get all the ideas in context):  "We did an alternative summer camp by camping at a number of different state parks and private camps/facilities.  We'd spend a day or two at each, then driving to the next.  The kids planned it all.  We brought the adult talent to do program, but the facilities were provided by the parks and private camps. Done this a number of years."

We've done that too.  Always was a great event. 

• To avoid multiple setup/tear down, we chose an area with multiple activities / options ... then found a centrally located camp site (state park, national forest, private).   
  • Scouts that still wanted the standard, every-year summer camp option.  They felt robbed if they could not repeat the same summer camp each year.  

Our "ideal" pattern was ... did not happen perfectly every year. 

• Jun/Jul/Aug - one month - troop standard summer camp commitment. 
  • Jun/Jul/Aug - one month - patrol sized high adventure
  • Jun/Jul/Aug - one month - troop low adventure summer camp ... similar to stated in previous post

Required lots of parental support and a healthy number of leaders. 

Edited by fred8033
13 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

We've done that too.  Always was a great event. 

• To avoid multiple setup/tear down, we chose an area with multiple activities / options ... then found a centrally located camp site (state park, national forest, private).   
  • Scouts that still wanted the standard, every-year summer camp option.  They felt robbed if they could not repeat the same summer camp each year.  

Our "ideal" pattern was ... did not happen perfectly every year. 

• Jun/Jul/Aug - one month - troop standard summer camp commitment. 
  • Jun/Jul/Aug - one month - patrol sized high adventure
  • Jun/Jul/Aug - one month - troop low adventure summer camp ... similar to stated in previous post

Required lots of parental support and a healthy number of leaders. 

Having a "home base" also makes a lot of sense.

Takes a lot of adults to make it work.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...

Interesting. As a scout master, council summer camp was a bit like vacation vs. real work with so many others in charge where I did not need to have concerns. Going on your own could well be better but do consider comradeship with other scouts/scouters. Kind of like shall I stay home and read the bible or attend church. It's all good - keep it up!  

• Upvote 1

I wish we would so our own, despite all the work it is. I was trying to talk the troop into doing a 50 miler on the AT since  summer camps are over $400 this year. Not only did the committee chair say it is not a good idea, but the Scouts did as well.  All of them said it would be a waste of a summer because they would not be able to earn any MBs.

I really wish National would push adventure instead of advancement.

• Upvote 4

"All of them said it would be a waste of a summer because they would not be able to earn any MBs." Of course, the scouts will have to want to do your adventure, but could you build the adventure around their MB of interest? 

Advancement is not the most important part of the program (and I got eagle while still 12). It may be coming from Cubs where most of your annual program is focused on getting that rank. Scouting should be a time to expand your world and learn vs. get some bottle caps with silver rims!

10 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

All of them said it would be a waste of a summer because they would not be able to earn any MBs.

When our troop did a week of rafting instead of summer camp, we offered 3 MBs:

Wood carving - projects and supervised practice at each campsite.

Wilderness survival - reading on the road, and 'build your own shelter and sleep in it' 20 yards into the woods from the vans.

Nature - "Yes little Johnny, that is bear poop, know as 'scat'; and those are little bells in it."

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, JoeBob said:

When our troop did a week of rafting instead of summer camp, we offered 3 MBs:

Wood carving - projects and supervised practice at each campsite.

Wilderness survival - reading on the road, and 'build your own shelter and sleep in it' 20 yards into the woods from the vans.

Nature - "Yes little Johnny, that is bear poop, know as 'scat'; and those are little bells in it."

Oh, so you were in grizzly country!?

On 12/11/2022 at 9:39 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

All of them said it would be a waste of a summer because they would not be able to earn any MBs.

When our troop did it, we'd often work in a few MBs during the week.  MBs that would align with the location / activities.  Heck, if a scout wants to earn a MB, there are ways to make it happen.