Is there or is there not a uniform standard in Scouts BSA?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is quite a jump when you say allowing someone not to wear the official uniform pants means that YPT or smoking rules are optional also.  One is for the safety of the youth and one is the present

My days as a scout were in the 60's when everyone in the troop was in a complete uniform for every activity and every troop meeting included a uniform inspection, so I fully understand the desire to s

I have also seen scouters wearing that particular knot, and while not approved in my council I did speak to people who in casual conversation (I have never confronted anyone for wearing it) stated tha

You have clearly missed the point. Again, if a female scout or scouter wore a string bikini there would be a public outcry but a kid wearing tights showing off his backside and frontside is just fine?  Ok, if thats the case DROP THE STANDARD  and everyone wears what they want. Let the ladies wear the DasynDukes and halter tops, guys can wear speedo bathing suits, and everything goes.   BSA is trying to gain members and those representing the BSA should present a positive first impression.   I wonder how many managers, supervisors and executives would turn a blind eye to an employee dressing in that style.  I also wonder how many parents who linked that style to the BSA would consider allowing their children to become part of an organization that is so represented.  Again appropriate is appropriate and inappropriate is inappropriate.   No one wants to address the other examples that I mentioned so I guess they would be OK, or would those around would scream like a trash can full of cats.  It is not a jump from uniforms to safety issues.  We shouldn't pick and choose what rules we follow and what rules we don't.   So what if someone steps outside wearing a Scout uniform in full view of the public and fires up a cigar?  What if a young person wears Scout shorts and a t-shirt with a swastika proudly displayed, is that ok as long as they are articulate and intelligent?  If individuals won't follow the rules and there are no consequences then why establish the rule?  To throw a little more gas on the fire, the OA Sash in not SUPPOSED to be worn with a t-shirt but apparently thats another thing that is a rule that doesn't really matter.  Where is the line?  Is there a line? Or do we conduct business based on suggestions.  That is a personal question that everyone must answer for themselves.  If the standard doesn't matter then drop the standard and relax.

I know these are rhetorical, but since you "asked" ...

On 8/8/2022 at 9:18 PM, Mrjeff said:

... So what if someone steps outside wearing a Scout uniform in full view of the public and fires up a cigar? ...

Sing  "My Last Cigar" to him/her,

... What if a young person wears Scout shorts and a t-shirt with a swastika proudly displayed, is that ok as long as they are articulate and intelligent?  ...

Let him/her know that Putin is on the hunt, better run.

... If individuals won't follow the rules and there are no consequences then why establish the rule?  ...

To look good in the next election cycle.

... the OA Sash in not SUPPOSED to be worn with a t-shirt but apparently thats another thing that is a rule that doesn't really matter.  Where is the line? ...

It's embroidered between the fletching and the arrowhead.

;)

....  If the standard doesn't matter then drop the standard and relax.

The standard is the standard (a Steelers training camp reference). The reality is that people make rules hoping that everyone else will enforce them to some degree, but not to the point that it discourages a scout from self-expression -- even self-expression that you or I find to be a distraction.

So ... using a parallel example brought up earlier ... If a district could only schedule an Eagle BoR immediately after a scout finishes work at the marina, and he shows up in flip-flops, shorts, and a flowered shirt ... he meets the criteria of neat appearance. The  only question I'd have for the scout is why he didn't invite us to have the review on his boss's yacht!

On 8/8/2022 at 8:18 PM, Mrjeff said:

To throw a little more gas on the fire, the OA Sash in not SUPPOSED to be worn with a t-shirt but apparently thats another thing that is a rule that doesn't really matter.  

Where did you find this regulation?  For at least 30 years, I've seen the sash worn with a t-shirt at OA events.  People don't normally work in the hot sun while wearing their uniform shirt.  

“The Order of the Arrow sash is worn with the official Scout field uniform or Scouting’s official adult professional dress wear (a blue blazer and gray slacks). The sash also may be worn by Elangomats who are not in uniform at an Ordeal, youth wearing ceremonial attire, and in such other instances as approved by the Scout executive.”

• Upvote 1

Seems like scouts and scouters are redefining BSA uniforming on their own by adopting personal standards than then sort of become accepted unofficial regulations. Or eventually become official. I think the friendship knot is one of those things that was being done with neckerchiefs and then the BSA eventually made it an official option for neckerchief wear.

Personally I kind of like some personal touches on uniforms, even if they are out of step with official regs. But of course that's a slippery slope. If you can move the line, you can get rid of the line eventually, too.

I guess I'm also a bit of a hypocrite because there are things that people do definitely bother me to an almost irrational point. Adults wearing oval rank patches being one of them (not talking about the 18-year-old wearing their Eagle patch, talking about middle-age or older adults doing it).