Is there or is there not a uniform standard in Scouts BSA?

Wow, I  remember that if you wanted to purchase a Scout uniform you had to take your BSA ID card to JC Penny.  There were clear guidelines which even stated what shoes to wear.   Folks were proud to wear their uniform and there was even a designated Scout Week where everyone could wear their uniform to school.   Now, it seems that the issue of proper uniform guidelines is dead in the water.  Everything is suggested or ignored.  Shorts, pants, skirts, kilts, lycra body suits, blue jeans or kaki military trousers.  Ball cap, campaign or bush hat, ostrich feathers or rooster tails.  How many knots can you wear, what patches can go over the right pocket, can I wear an old jamboree patch, what neckerchief can I  use, closed toe shoes or clogs.............the list and debate goes on and on.  I would just like to see Scout shorts and a Scout themed T-shirt at national events where everyone participating is representing Scouting, and not a Marianas parade🤐

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is quite a jump when you say allowing someone not to wear the official uniform pants means that YPT or smoking rules are optional also.  One is for the safety of the youth and one is the present

My days as a scout were in the 60's when everyone in the troop was in a complete uniform for every activity and every troop meeting included a uniform inspection, so I fully understand the desire to s

I have also seen scouters wearing that particular knot, and while not approved in my council I did speak to people who in casual conversation (I have never confronted anyone for wearing it) stated tha

Heard somewhere "Change Happens" and you need to roll with the flow.  My favorite is "Do you want the windows of the Church broken from the inside or the outside?"  Our personal uniforming can be a reflection of the ideal.  However, I want "them" at the meeting, so at least the see the ideal.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

If you show up at a soccer game wearing a football uniform you won't be permitted to play.  If a young lady shows up at a Scouting event wearing a string bathing suit people would scream to high heavens.  If someone shows up in court wearing shorts, flip flops and a tank top they won't be allowed in.  But, as far as being a representative of the BSA, everything goes?  Appropriate is what it is and inappropriate is what it is.  If there is a specified uniform standard then it should be observed by everyone.  If you don't want to follow that standard you shouldn't attend.

20 minutes ago, Mrjeff said:

If you show up at a soccer game wearing a football uniform you won't be permitted to play.  If a young lady shows up at a Scouting event wearing a string bathing suit people would scream to high heavens.  If someone shows up in court wearing shorts, flip flops and a tank top they won't be allowed in.  But, as far as being a representative of the BSA, everything goes?  Appropriate is what it is and inappropriate is what it is.  If there is a specified uniform standard then it should be observed by everyone.  If you don't want to follow that standard you shouldn't attend.

I think if kids liked wearing the uniform and found it functional and comfortable, it wouldn't be such an issue. You often don't really have to fight a kid to get them into a sports uniform -- they don't mind wearing it because it fits and is more functional. Many people look to the military and law enforcement as a parallel, but just last week I noticed patrolmen in my town wearing khakis and a navy golf shirt with reflective tapes on them. Not a traditional form, but they looked good, comfortable, and the reflective tape is a no brainer -- why doesn't BSA put that on uniforms for safety instead of one of million patches when we are the only youth organization that actually does stuff with kids in the dark.  

• Upvote 2

Comfortable?  Taped up, banded up, padded up, then put your jersey and pants on, then grab your helmet, not so comfortable.  I'm not going to say that I know why scout uniforms are not popular and I agree to an extent.  Uniforms and patches are expensive but if someone doesn't present themselves in appropriate dress they shouldn't be permitted to participate.  If a uniform standard is required, then apply the standard and be happy.  Otherwise, cancel the standards,  let everyone "express themselves", and wear what they want.  DO NOT ESTABLISH A STANDARD AND LOOK THE OTHER WAY WHEN SOMEONE DRESSES IN AN OFFENSIVE, EMBARRASSING,  AND INAPPROPRIATE  WAY, and just pretend it's all ok.  

@Mrjeff, I share your confusion over uniforms.

When a standard is not held, it is no longer a standard.

When those who are supposed to be in "authority" do not adhere to a published standard, then followers can disregard all published standards.

It's the broken window theory. 

You can see this attitude prevalent everywhere.

Cultivate your own garden, and those who seek your virtue of excellence will follow.  Leave the rest to their own...

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Mrjeff said:

Comfortable?  Taped up, banded up, padded up, then put your jersey and pants on, then grab your helmet, not so comfortable.  I'm not going to say that I know why scout uniforms are not popular and I agree to an extent.  Uniforms and patches are expensive but if someone doesn't present themselves in appropriate dress they shouldn't be permitted to participate.  If a uniform standard is required, then apply the standard and be happy.  Otherwise, cancel the standards,  let everyone "express themselves", and wear what they want.  DO NOT ESTABLISH A STANDARD AND LOOK THE OTHER WAY WHEN SOMEONE DRESSES IN AN OFFENSIVE, EMBARRASSING,  AND INAPPROPRIATE  WAY, and just pretend it's all ok.  

My days as a scout were in the 60's when everyone in the troop was in a complete uniform for every activity and every troop meeting included a uniform inspection, so I fully understand the desire to see that type of uniforming by our current scouts.  My uniform and that of my scout are complete down to the socks, everything is in the correct place and everyone in my unit, district and council is used to the fact that they will never see us incorrectly uniformed.

I am not really sure what you are referring to as far as scouts or scouters dressing in an offensive, embarrassing and inappropriate way.  While I love seeing those scouts who are on top of their uniforming game, I would much rather see enthusiastic scouts enjoying and learning the lessons scouting offers even if they do not own a uniform.  I often hear the "if they really want it they will find a way to afford the uniform" line from people, but that is not always reality, particularly in the Cub Scout program where parents are expected to buy a new handbook, neckercheif, slide, and hat every year.

Seeing a scout who can only afford a shirt should never be offensice, ebarrassing or inappropriate.  It is what is inside that shirt that matters, not the shirt itself.  

I would hope that most here would agree with me.  I know not all will, and that is fine.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

My son is in Boy Scouts, and they way he is growing, you are insane if you think I am going to buy him BSA uniform pants every six months.   I have a hard enough time keeping him in pants for school, so $120 for pants  for one day a week and several weekend events is not going to happen.  His shirt is squared away 100%, but there has to be some realism here.  And BSA socks - what is the point.  Even the military does not tell you brand of sock to buy.  Common sense is allowed.  

my story of the early late 70’s/80’s is this - I was not allowed to wear my scout shorts and the scout socks we bought for summer camp In Mississippi),  because I did not have the tabs that went with them.  Did not have them at our local JC Penny, did not have them at camp.  Too bad - long pants for me at camp (100 degrees, humidity, etc).  One of the reasons that I dropped from scouts (along with weekly uniform inspections).  The troop I was in before in Europe, the one that was amazing and everyone wanted to be in, no one cared abOut your uniform socks or pants.  

what is the priority?  What is the intent and lesson?  What is the return on investment for the scout?  

Edited by Navybone