This last weekend a fellow ASM and myself, along with our boys, went to Lake Texoma to pre-scout the Cross Timbers Trail that is on the southern border of the lake. The troop will be doing a two nighter hike later this month. It has a few spots that are accessable by car since the trail runs through a marina for a while and later through a resort, both on land leased from the Corp of Engineers. We had checked out both trail heads for parking and these mentioned areas to find out how the trail winds trough them. We then wanted to check out where we were going to be staying each night. We hiked one short section where we would stay SAT. and saw on the topo map a road that came close to the available campsites for Friday night.

Well we went to the location and it was a large ranch. We stop at the Ranch Hands house that was close to the public road and asked about being able to cross the ranch to the Corp land. He said that he thought that would be no problem just drive up to the main house and check with the land owner.

When we asked the owner he said that he use to provide this for Scout Troops but that he had been burned too many times, especial by one troop that he mentioned by number from our area. He said he ther had been problems with fences not being respected and being damaged, and having water available being abused. This REALLY, REALLY sadden me to think that fellow Scouts had failed to live up to the Trustworhty part of the law, and had left a negative legacy for others to follow.

All I could do was tell him that I respected his wishes, apologize for the intrusion, and leave.

Hope everyone remebers to try and leave a Good Legacy for others that follow us in our Scouting.

• Like 1

These stories are indeed saddening. I've seen many a scout who have strayed from those values to which they'd pledged themselves. Stories like these may darken the picture some people may have of scouts, so it is up to us to make that picture brighter. The only way to do this is to keep on scouting; do your best in whatever you do; do a good turn daily; and be prepared. Living in such a way will ensure that you leave a legacy to be proud of.

If only every scout truly did pledge himself to the scout oath and law, the world would be a better place. I'm thankful that so many scouts/scouters already do.(This message has been edited by 9muckraker7)

• Like 1

txscoutdad,

Even though your guys didn't casue the problem, perhaps you could solve it. How about offering some sort of service project to the landowner to restore his faith in Boy Scouts in general and your unit in particular?

I had thought that over in my mind and I think that with this paticular land owner, I think he just wants to be left alone. This man has a large tract of land, that looks like a manicured park, that is maintained by his ranch hand and himself. I also believe that he is very well off financially. Since the land abuts the Corp land I'm sure he gets all kinds of requests from lots of people.

I'm still mulling it around in my head of what I could do, hence this post.

Thanks for the suggestions

Make him something special that he could put somewhere and think nicely of the scouts. If the bridge every gets mended maybe a recognition award from the council is in order. This is a multi year endevour. Each year the the torch should be passed to return good relations with this owner.

Sometimes, no matter what you do you can never repair a broken relationship like this. It may be better to just leave the individual alone.

We have a businessman in town here that is a great supporter of youth programs. If local Youth sports programs need support he is always willing, if the local Girl Scout troops need help, he is first there. Any youth group except the Boy Scouts has an open door to talk to him. Why is this. Well it seems about 15 yrs ago the council that was in our area at the time did a bad thing in his eyes and he has never and will never forgive the Boy Scouts. Even though councils have merged and we have all new people, he still will not do anything for the Boy Scouts.

Once someone in an organization makes a big mistake like they did it sometimes in impossible to repair the damage.