Adult uniform minimalism philosophy

5 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

This is a great idea. Our council just went to a "modern" one from our old drab'ish one. They also increased the size beyond the standard to the new "standard extra-large". Ugh. They also made 10 with different boarders for districts and camps and commissioners. Not what we need …

When Greater Pittsburgh Council merged with Penns Woods we had a naming contest and then design competition for the patch. As fun as it was, the name Laurel Highlands would give an outsider little clue of where we are. Highlands from the Catskills to the Smokies are full of Laurel. And you ain’t finding any of the stuff in the boundaries of the old Greater Pittsburgh Council — except for Heritage reservation which is enclaved in Westmorland-Fayette council.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One key difference between BSA and virtually any other youth program that heavily utilizes volunteers is that the BSA tries to keep theirs even once the volunteer's children are no longer involved.  A

Regarding Council patches, I prefer a return to community strips. Maybe using name tape (label tape), sewn on or velcro?

Life should be a rainbow.  A wide spectrum of variety that motivates each individual.  In 25 years plus, I have worked from the den level all the way up to National committee.  What I like to do

Posted Images

Ah I missed one of my favorite repeating topics. I think we reached the usual consensus, some people prefer to wear what they are awarded and earned, some folks prefer minimalism. Most don't force their preference on everybody else. 

I feel like I'm in middle ground, more on the display what I've earned side than the total minimalism side. I follow the Uniform Guide. I don't really go out of my way to correct somebody unless they are embarrassingly out of sorts, (Numbers or Council strip in the wrong place, for example) 

Personally I'll only wear my Eagle Stuff, or my Wood Badge stuff only in a setting where it's expected. I recently started my 2nd row of Square knots, I added a district award of merit to my Eagle Scout, AoL, and Religious emblem knots. I've been an adult volunteer for 11 years now. I just can't be bothered to push the paperwork on other knots I'm eligible for. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would not call my personal uniform "minimal" in the sense nothing but default is on it, but I also prefer a simple uniform and do not put on every single thing I could.  I want to be recognizable as a leader to Scouts (in and out of unit) and parents.  I want some things like AOL/Religious Emblem/Eagle knots to show the Scouts "these things mean something and follow you through life" as a means to encourage them to achieve and respect those things.  But otherwise, I want all the "showing off" to be the youth.

I think that's a good practice when you're actively involved in unit leadership.

I love and someday dream of being an "old salt" and I think for that crowd of emeritus Scouters their life in Scouting evolves beyond unit leadership.  At that point packing the uniform is an interesting way to showcase the different ways you can stay involved and contribute once your time in unit life comes to an end.  I love seeing those elaborate showcase uniforms and have zero problem with them.

In the end, I don't really feel one way or another about how people wear a uniform.  Once official, always official means there's a wonderful spectrum of pageantry to enjoy :)

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

There are lots of opinions concerning uniforms.  At one time the BSA uniform was strictly regulated and required.  Does anyone remember the very old Woodbadge uniform requirements and inspections?  Gradually it evolved into bieng encouraged and suggested.  If one carefully reads the official insignia rules they will find that " once official always official" is the standard.  This is particularly important concerning those controversial little colored scraps of clouth, the square knot.  Not so long ago there was no limit to the number of square knots that are appropriate.  With the latest update and the limit of 9 knots, there is another caviot.  Square knots need knot🤭 be removed to achieve that limit.  I personally wear a few knots on my uniform shirts, of which I have a few.  However; I have one shirt that is my "spiffy" shirt that has every knot that I  have earned, or been presented.   My top three are Eagle Scout, Scoutmaster Award of Merit and the Silver Beaver.  These proudly sit atop an additional 13 square knots.  These are a very real road map of my time in Scouting, much of which was spent with three sons, two daughters, and one grandson.  Consider this a display of my legacy to Scouting and the paths I've traveled in Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Exploring and Venturing.  God bless and Scout on!

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Mrjeff said:

… I have one shirt that is my "spiffy" shirt that has every knot that I  have earned, or been presented.   My top three are Eagle Scout, Scoutmaster Award of Merit and the Silver Beaver.  These proudly sit atop an additional 13 square knots.  These are a very real road map of my time in Scouting, much of which was spent with three sons, two daughters, and one grandson.  Consider this a display of my legacy to Scouting and the paths I've traveled in Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Exploring and Venturing.  God bless and Scout on!

Sooner or later, one runs afoul of uniform specifications. Someone doesn’t like how scouts or scouters apply insignia, and go on about a “third world general look.” Be that as it may, someone violates my rule #1 and asks for a rule about it, and all of a sudden that sixth and seventh row of knots is non-standard. Now, someone like @Mrjeff isn’t merely flamboyantly leading a small army of scouts in messaging peace, he’s treating the Insignia Guide as, well, a guide. Oh, the humanity!

Edited by qwazse
  • 2 weeks later...

My uniform tells a story, but it's the story I want it to tell. I don't put on all the knots that I could, just the story I want to tell.

For me, Scouting revolves around the youth, so I mainly have items on my uniform from my youth. My religious knot and Eagle knot. I don't have a good reason to not wear the Arrow of Light knot, just not in the story I tell with my uniform.

On the right side, almost always with a Philmont arrowhead. Either staff or Rayado. 

Belt always Philmont.

Only "adult" item I have on it my pack position and the pins associated with my kids rank. 

My uniform is a story, my story.

But yeah, if we brought back old uniforms with no collar and community patches and wear garrison covers, I'm all in.

Somewhere in my huge pile of Scout stuff I still have my first uniform with red piping around the pockets of the trousers and collar less shirt.  I love those old OD uniforms.  I hated the change and wore one until it didn't fit.  If I could find a xx adult uniform I would still wear one.  I have a bunch of newer uniforms but would go retro in a flash.  Along with a "General Patten" pattern of knots I also pin on two Eagle Scout Dad pins and one Eagle Scout Grandfather pin. I have obtained a RETIRED strip and after I complete my current tour of duty I'm going to put it on right under my TRAINED strip.  Flamboyant yes but I like it.  Believe it or knot the kids like it too.  Over the years I've heard bunches of old folks say that it's all fo the boys, and now the girls; that's hogwash, bolderdash, and rubbish because if the grey beards aren't having a good time doing what they're doing the kids won't enjoy what they're doing.  So I would say thats it's for the young and old alike😉.  Sooooooooo, knots or no knots, pins or no pins, patches or patchless, have a grand time and Scout On!

• Like 1
On 9/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, Mrjeff said:

😅🤣😂😆😅🤣😂🤣😅😆😂😂😂Welllllllllllll..........I would never, I say never ever...put stuff on my pants😅🤣😂😅🤣😂😂🤣😅😆🤣😉

I have seen arrow points down to the knees...literally.

• Haha 1

Hey all of you minimalist Scouters out there.  There is one conciliation for you.  After all of us old goats head to the great council fire in the sky, you just won't have to worry about knot wearing too many knots.  A whole pile of the little buggers have been retired so unless you have been around a long time, they just ain't available any more🤫

• 1 year later...

We as adult leaders should maintain the "neat and tidy" approach to our uniforms but should wear them in full.  We have awards as youth, awards as adults, and awards from external parties (like the Community Service Award).  

Personal memory, and reflecting from my current scouts:

Cub Scouts don't really care about what adults have on the adult uniform until closer to AOL.  When they understand that what they are about to earn will be on their uniform even as adults they get kind of excited.  

Older Scouts care a lot about what adults have on their uniform.  I remember seeing those "Old Scouters" and how many knots they had, and also how much knowledge they had.  We owe it to them and ourselves to wear what we have earned.

If a scouter is qualified to wear the interpreter strip, they should wear it, it may mean a lot to a potential scout that doesn't speak the native language of the prospective unit (a scout is helpful and friendly).  We should wear the knots we earn, and should wear medals at appropriate times.  I haven't worn any of my medals since I became an adult leader but that's also because Cub Scouts don't get as excited until they start to get more "bling" on their own uniform.  For Older Scouts, we set a bar and a goal for them to go further and do more than we ever did.

People see my Medal of Merit knot and don't recognize it, but they do know the medal when they see it.  I brought it to the last District Awards Dinner (didn't' wear it though, probably should have). 

If we hold the Silver Beaver, Lifesaving Medals, and Eagle in such high regard, we should show equal awe to a new Parent who willingly stepped into their Pack to become an Awarded Den Leader.  That one knot means a lot to the growth of our organization, a Scouter has done something that many other parents don't even try to do.

• Upvote 3

I am a minimalist. I only wear the insignia on my uniform that means the most to me. The temporary patch is usually the last camp I went to.

On 9/23/2022 at 8:05 PM, Mrjeff said:

Hey all of you minimalist Scouters out there.  There is one conciliation for you.  After all of us old goats head to the great council fire in the sky, you just won't have to worry about knot wearing too many knots.  A whole pile of the little buggers have been retired so unless you have been around a long time, they just ain't available any more🤫

True. Now when I see a uniform decked out in knots, I presume you are an old-timer and your children have likely aged out of the program.