Our troop is holding a garage sale, and we were given the model tent shown in the title. I can’t find any information at all for this tent online. It doesn’t have a rain fly, and I’m not sure whether it was supposed to come with one or not.

The bigger issue is that it has two poles, but I don’t see anywhere on the tent to lock them in place.   The base of the tent has loops at the corners, but the polls just slide through the loops if I try to use them.

Anyone have any experience here? Is the tent worthless?

Sounds like you helped someone clear out their garage. That was kind of you.

Seriously, if you can't figure out how to set the tent up, maybe you don't have all of, or the right parts.

18 hours ago, MattR said:

Sounds like you helped someone clear out their garage. That was kind of you.

Seriously, if you can't figure out how to set the tent up, maybe you don't have all of, or the right parts.

We finally did figure it out. The poles go on the inside of the tent, into a triangular pocket in the corner, then they get tied at the top.  No rain fly. 

This is the first time I’ve ever seen a tent with the poles on the inside. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, swilliams said:

We finally did figure it out. The poles go on the inside of the tent, into a triangular pocket in the corner, then they get tied at the top.  No rain fly. 

This is the first time I’ve ever seen a tent with the poles on the inside. 

Well, I am with you-never have heard of that before, internal pockets with interior poles.  I'd think the doors must be large (wide) so as to accommodate inserting a pole into a corner pocket, then bending the balance of the pole through the door so as to be able to insert the other end of pole into the other pocket.  Sounds very awkward.  Two doors, or is this feat of contortionism conducted through a single door?

Installing the second pole might be easier, until the last few inches of stretch to get the second pole end into the final pocket.

I've had tents where the poles were inserted through sleeves on the outside of the tent chamber.  Then, tents seemed to go to poles affixed at tent corners, with plastic clips drawing the tent outward.  Pole sleeves were probably heavier than the clip system.

Some tent poles were capped with a rubber cap and inserted into a pocket.

Some tent poles were open ended and there was a metal pin at the corners that was inserted into the open-ended pole.

Considering that I started scout camping about 1964 or so, my 14 pound, 2 person Explorer Tent, (not counting the wooden cross spar and two A-Frame pole spars-there was a metal T-pole alternative), has resolved to a Big Agnes Copper Spur Ultra Lite of about 2 pounds 8 ounces (but just one person), things have dramatically changed.  My Big Agnes tent is a work of art.  (I hope this does not offend some advertising restriction, but if so, just delete what offends.)

• Upvote 1

This one has the rubber-tipped poles.  We’ve had tents in the past that use the little pin inserted into the pole, as well as the sleeves ( which I hated, as the segments of pole always separated trying to get them through the sleeves).

We sold all of the tents but one this weekend. The one that’s left over probably didn’t sell because I had priced a little higher, but it’s a Eureka Mountain Pass XT.  Nice tent. Four-person, though, so more for family than Boy Scout. 

We’ll probably donate to Veterans.