Checklist for units to Move from CO to another CO?

Our unit was "divorced’ by a Baptist church as its charter organization many years ago and it was not an easy or happy separation of assets. Our council did not provide assistance. Dedicated volunteers really struggled to make the transition to another CO go smoothly for our scouts and their families. Our unit moved to a UMM and we are now forced by the BSA-UMC agreement to find another CO. Is there a checklist for dissolution of a unit from a CO to make this process less stressful? Is there a checklist for creating to forming a new CO relationship. Again, our council is not being helpful and we volunteers are growing weary.

I'm not aware of a checklist for dissolution or transfer, but I would be interested in one as well.  Our CO is also UMC.  We don't have a clear path forward regarding the new BSA-UMC agreement from either the Council or UMC.  We do currently have a great relationship with our CO, although they don't know if they will be allowed to continue chartering us.  Facing the prospect of the Council becoming our CO, a group of parents have filed paperwork to create a non-profit corporation.  Our UMC leadership is on board with transferring assets to the non-profit "for the sole use of the troop."  This would at least allow us to protect the historical, equipment, and monetary assets while keeping them available to the troop regardless of who eventually becomes our next CO.  

There's nothing like having the PLC conduct their annual planning conference with this train bearing down on you.

Edited by physics32
spelling

Our council does not have DE for our district. (That is another topic in regards to not having one or having one that is useless.). District Commissioner is on a "wait and see" mode until the council has its board meeting next week to figure it out.  Our unit committees just met together tonight to form a plan for seeking out of new CO while approaching our UMC about a facilities agreement.  We don't have time to wait or depend on our council   We have good prospects on organizations that might be interested in taking on the CO role.  This link has been more helpful than anything that our council has provided us.   I recommend downloading the documents, especially the graphic.  I recommend watching the videos as well: https://methodistscouter.org/a-new-agreement/   Enjoy Scouting in our units. Dislike all this mess.

6 hours ago, LisaMNB said:

Is there a checklist for dissolution of a unit from a CO to make this process less stressful? Is there a checklist for creating to forming a new CO relationship.

Changing charters:  There is no checklist.  With changing charters, it's not a dissolution.  It's a letter signed by the charter org leader addressing the ownership of the unit name/number, gear, assets and liabilities.  I've moved a cub pack twice and a troop once.  It was effectively a signed letter saying.  

To <council name>, ... 

<charter organization> releases unit (or units) #### including the unit's gear and bank accounts to be rechartered
               under another charter organization. 

Sincerely <Signed Senior Pastor or Charter Org Exec>.

I then had the new charter org sign a Charter Org Agreement and brought all the documents to the council registrar.  

It's really rather easy.  It's more about conversations than paperwork.

Dissolving:  Even easier.  No paperwork generally.  Just clean up the closets and document what you will do with the assets (gear and bank accounts).  

DE Involvement:  DEs focus on new charter agreements to start units.  DEs need to be included / consulted when moving charters, but it's really subject to the drive of the unit leadership.

Key point:  Document well.  Phone calls to hear concerns in a living voice.  Update emails to everyone involved (unit leaders, charter org exec, DE, district commissioner) stating what is going on.  Don't surprise anyone.  Don't leave people in the dark.  I tried my best to communicate at each step:  Here's what I'm thinking.  Here's what I'm about to do.  Here's what I did.  It does not need to be fancy.  For me, it was the same update email to everyone at the same time at each step.

Edited by fred8033
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

I then had the new charter org sign a Charter Org Agreement and brought all the documents to the council registrar.  

This is really it. 

Since you said you’ll have an org, the rest of the effort is in forming that org and apply for tax empt / non profit status. You don’t necessarily need full ruling on non-profit status, but an incorporated org would be helpful.  

• Upvote 1