Thoughts Coming Back from Philmont

They are short staffed (hire taller staff?) and the bathrooms/showers aren't cleaned frequently. Some were downright nasty.

An adult in our crew got sick with Covid on trail. He had to hike with us to Ponil to be extracted because rain made roads to Elkhorn impassable. His son said he wasn't feeling well but tested negative. He was also taken to the infirmary. He returned a little later after testing negative again.

They told us they were pulling the rest of us healthy members from trail because they're in 2020 mode. But they couldn't get vehicles to Ponil to extract us. We'd be stuck in a campsite in 50 degree weather and nonstop rain and nothing to do. The guy who is in charge of Ponil put us in a workshop, dried our clothes and fed us Elk spaghetti. We will be forever grateful.

Next day we were sentenced to 5 days in Camp Covid, aka The Leper Colony, aka Herradura where we could day hike and maybe fish. We were fuming. The GM threatened to send us home when we expressed our frustrations to him. I had pointed out that both the CDC and state of New Mexico state that if you're vaxxed/boosted and asymptomatic you don't need to isolate when exposed to someone with Covid. 

After 2 days, he changed his mind and we got an early release because our entire crew was the only one fully vaxxed and boosted and we finished our trek. Just like the health experts say and I had pointed out.

Sending healthy people all to the same camp due to 1 member testing positive is not the way to handle this. We're not at basecamp, we're outside where transmission is greatly reduced and distancing from staff and others is easy. 

On to gear and other odds and ends.

Trail runners are much better than boots. Yeah, you have weak ankles, just like everyone else. People hike the Application Trail more often in trail runners. You can do 11 days at Philmont.

ULA Catalyst is a good Philmont pack. It's too big for individual backpacking, but for bulky Philgear and Philfood, it works, particularly when you're emptying a sick crew member's pack to lighten his load. If you can't fit everything in it, you're overpacking or using car camping gear for backpacking.

OR Ferrosi pants are my favorite hiking pants. I wore them every day.

The Jolly Gear sun hoodie is a great shirt. Unfortunately it's a small company and they now have limited supply.

Swartwool boxer briefs are comfortable but no better than synthetic at preventing stinkiness.

Wegmans drink mix containers make a great, cheap sunglass case (and aren't a smellable because the drink mix is in separate tubes).

White gas stoves are like points ignition. Canister stoves are like electronic ignition. 🙃

Pack liners are more effective than pack covers.

Make sure you have a very good rain jacket, puffy and fleece. It got to the low 50s and rained for more than 24 hours straight.

The pesto pasta was the most disliked meal. Spaghetti was the favorite.

Make reservations in advance for dinner at The St. James before you arrive.

I'm tired of crackers. All forms.

Locate the red roof/pilot to bombardier when you arrive, not middle of the night. DAMHIK

Embrace the stink. Don't bring too much clothing.

Don't get Covid.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your detailed report, wish it had gone better for your crew.

Scout salute to  "The guy who is in charge of Ponil put us in a workshop, dried our clothes and fed us Elk spaghetti. We will be forever grateful."

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

But they couldn't get vehicles to Ponil to extract us.

As in "impassable" to get to Point, or didn't want to send vehicles to Ponil?  Do you know which?

Pack liners are more effective than pack covers.

Interesting comment.  As most packs aren't waterproof, the pack material will absorb water adding weight.

showers aren't cleaned frequently

I always took a portable sun shower.  2.4 oz, if I remember.  About 2 adult showers.  Took a shower every day.

In any event, one always remembers the tough campouts moreso than the cake walk campouts.

15 minutes ago, SiouxRanger said:

As in "impassable" to get to Point, or didn't want to send vehicles to Ponil?  Do you know which?

Interesting comment.  As most packs aren't waterproof, the pack material will absorb water adding weight.

I always took a portable sun shower.  2.4 oz, if I remember.  About 2 adult showers.  Took a shower every day.

In any event, one always remembers the tough campouts moreso than the cake walk campouts.

27 minutes ago, SiouxRanger said:

+1 for Pack liners. Pack covers aren’t really waterproof either. They never weigh less. Even if you have a pack that will soak up water, it will dry. Myriad places for leaks. Covers Prevent access to outer stashes you may need at rain or shine. The Liner always works. If for no other reason, to segregate possible spills in the pack from things you don’t want to put at risk. It need not be expensive. Mine is a construction site 3mil trash bag. It is bigger than my pack. I roll down the top portion like a drybag.  There are lighter options out there that are real champs.

Before I worked as a pack salesman for a beloved three letter acronym gear company, I through hiked the rainy AT. I used a pack liner and never had a reason to cuss it. I suppose someone used a Pack cover and had good results. Observer effect, I guess I only noticed the people with them flapping. As a gear salesman I offered them. If they didn’t want one I would share my thoughts on liners.

8 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

Too muddy. Every vehicle going into the backcountry had to be approved by upper management.