What is the most important thing you have learned so far?

We have over the past month or so looked at what worked and what didn't work, we looked at how some people might try to measure success.

Some of us have been in Scouting ever since we joined as very little fellows, others came on as adults. Some were here left and have come back. At the end of the Wood Badge course we remind everyone that training never ends. Which I take too mean that we will always be learning. Still just for a moment take a break from this endless pursuit for knowledge and share with us what you think is the most important thing that you have learned or got from Scouting so far?

It doesn't have to be a gigantic thing it might be something that others might find very small.

In my case I think that thanks to having being in Scouting I have two things that I think are very important. One was learning to cook. My stay at home Irish Mother would never allow us boys into her kitchen. Being allowed to cook at camp opened my eyes to a whole new world. The other thing which I think is a biggie that I'm still working on, is becoming more empathetic. While I still work very much on the assumption that I'm right most of the time, I am trying to get better at seeing where the other person is coming from and going through. When the phone rings and it is a Leader who is having a rough time, I am getting better at really listening and hearing what they are going through and putting myself in their shoes. I'm really trying very hard not to "Preach" and am getting better at giving them the time and opportunity to work things out, just using me as a sounding board - It works better then them being bored because I'm doing all the sounding!! I still have a ways to go. Just ask OJ!

Eamonn

One of the things I enjoy most about this forum are the philosophical offerings of our friend, Eammon.

I think that the experience called "Scouting" can be rendered down to a single thought, which was passed on to us by B-P in his final message to Scouts and Scouters. That is, to strive to leave the world a little better than you found it. The Scout slogan, "Do a Good Turn Daily" is the way we pass this on. Each day when you go to bed, we should ask ourselves, "have I done my daily task". We can't cure World Hunger, nor prevent all crime and delinquency, nor solve all of the political and moral issues that make this country the great melting pot that the forefathers envisioned. But everyone can do something to make their corner of the world a little better. As Scouters, our duty is to pass that ethic on to our children, Scouts, neighbors and co-workers...just a little bit every day.

Thanks for the kind words.

I do like the BP farewell message. If I remember right, there is a recording of it at BP House, in London, and some little while back OGE posted a link to a site that had a lot of Baden Powell's recordings. It might have been the Boy Scouts of Hong Kong?

Eamonn

I think that probably one of the most important things I've learned through Scouting is Service to others. Whether it is helping to rake leaves or laying your life down for your country and its freedom.

Another thing which I rank up there with the other is patriotism and what "Old Glory" really stands for.

Here I go again, looking at the world a little differently.

The single most important thing I've learned is:

A Scout IS

Trustworthy

Loyal

Helpful

Friendly

Courteous

Kind

Obedient

Cheerful

Thrifty

Brave

Clean

Of course I still stumble on a point or two here and there, but it is and will remain the most important thing I've learned so far.

If the question is actually meant to point to a specific skill I learned through Scouting, well . . . that's a different question than the one asked.

Unc.

Reverent

Unc

I tried to leave it open. Some people might have had all the big rocks in place before joining Scouts and Scouting.

My feelings are that the Oath and Law are a work in progress. I did have a fair understanding of all these long before joining at the age of 8.

Eamonn.

Eamonn:

Now that I know the nature of the game, I'll join in the fun.

I think my most important lesson from Scouting is that it is possible to enjoy some form of fellowship with just about everyone.

I guess I'm an affiliatvie sort of fellow.

Unc.

The most important thing I've learned about Cub Scouting and Scouting to date is to enjoy and focus on the path rather than the end result. I'm an achievement-oriented person, always have been, so I tend to be in a hurry to get the job done and done perfectly. That doesn't work with the youth. The relationships that I've been privileged to enjoy as we work toward advancements, serve together, etc. have been moments that often bring a smile to face. I treasure them, and I sincerely hope that in some small way they moments that help define, for better, the lives of those I've spent time with.

What I have learned is that I may not be able to change the world but I can change it for one boy at a time.

Things that most of us take for granted can mean alot to a child who has never had anything. Old, used, hand-me-down shirts can light up a childs face the same way that a Christmas Present can. When a foster mother calls to tell you that "Joe" slept in his scout shirt it really makes you see the world in a much nicer light. When people send you uniform parts in response to an internet plea and do it without expecting praise, it makes me glad to be a part of it. When you see a young man (Sorry hops but this is you) who could be out doing other (read bad) things spending his time offering to help with Scout web pages, you see that Scouts does make a difference.

I am very humbled by the company I keep on this forum. You are all amazing (even when we disagree).

Kristi

The most important thing I've learned through scouting and working with kids has been to learn from those who are younger and less experienced than I: I've learned the most valuable lessons in life from those who are younger than I, and for that I am grateful.

Aside from that, the most important lesson I've learned would be that of establishing and preserving brotherhood and fellowship through cheerful service. The culmination of my entire scouting career came when I was bestowed with the brotherhood honor in my OA lodge, for it was then when I realized how important my friends were, and how important my role was in guiding younger scouts.

Scouting has taught me many things, and again, the ability to share those teaching with others is the most valuable thing I've learned.

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Seeing what Scouting is doing for my children and that includes the young man we foster I think the important thing is that Scouting grows the individual and unites them in a deep and wholesome way.

I knew that before but hearing and seeing it unsolicited from my children is the most satisfying thing.

... and double water proof your sleeping bag rates up there too.

I think that what I have learned from scouting is that I haven't learned 1/3 of what I want to learn.

My wonderfully wise Gran believed that only by giving back to we prove our worthiness.

Her favorite statment was

"your community is like a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds and nurtures it or you are mistletoe that sucks it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf". 45 years ago she was right and she is still right today.

OGE has it nailed for me... SERVICE...which comes in many shapes and sizes.

Scouting taught me, as a kid, that not all men beat the stuffing out of their wives and kids. That 'giving a hand' did not mean...the back of one. That some adults really cared about the children of 'strangers'. That some adults could be trusted and they could listen without judgeing, that they could be counted upon. That in their world giving back was more important than taking.

Scouting, as an adult is teaching me that 'paying back' the service those men did for me is work, but it is work that is rewarding and yes...fun! That helping young men learn skills, outdoor appreciation and most of all how to become leaders and good memebers of our community feeds the soul.

nuff said

anarchist