Neoprene wetsuit socks for Sea Base scuba adventure

I'm taking a crew to do a Sea Base scuba adventure in August.  One of the items on their packing lists is a pair of "Neoprene wetsuit socks".  They state that will they will "keep your feet comfortable in Sea Base fins".

I was hoping someone who has does a scuba adventure can tell me if these types of socks actually help?

If so, I would love to hear which one's you went with. 

Don't proper fitting fins work? I've never heard of neoprene socks and the only time I've had sore feet is when the fins had problems. But I never went diving with the bsa.

Do you have a dive shop nearby? They would know.

I have no SCUBA experience, I just have worn thin wool hiker socks with neoprene booties (not fins).

Anyway, did some research into dive socks:

Dive socks (also called water socks or fin socks) are exactly what they sound like: Slip-on coverings for your feet made with lycra or neoprene. The main purpose of dive socks is to provide comfort and a snugger fit while wearing full-foot fins.

Even with a well-fit fin, you can get excessive chafing and rubbing around your toes and ankles that can cause blisters. This is especially true if you wear fins for long periods of time. For hiking boots, that’s why a good pair of hiking socks (and maybe some Moleskin!) is essential. The same is true for fins!

Maybe @mashmaster@Bowline@fred8033would be more help, no doubt there are other experienced members.

Edited by RememberSchiff

Our Troop just returned from Sea Base and everyone used the neoprene dive socks.  The flippers they provide are made of rubber and if you are snorkeling/scuba a lot can cause blisters.  The dive socks are not too expensive.

We also made swims out to islands and when you take the flippers off, it was an added benefit not to be on the rocks barefoot.

• Upvote 2

Coral Reef Adventure.  It was a lot of fun!  The Scouts did a great job, and enjoyed snorkeling, fishing and exploring historical sites.

I’d definitely recommend attending Sea Base if your Troop hasn’t been there!

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Eagle_Chris said:

... an added benefit not to be on the rocks barefoot.

I'll double and triple that recommendation.  You do NOT want to walk the rocks barefoot.  We did out island adventure and tall ship sailing.  When coming and going to the island, you can walk thru sharp rocks and also algae and muck.  You do not want small cuts and/or bacteria getting in.  Some type of foot covering is important.

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 1

This might not apply to scuba -- or to scouts at Seabase who are coached in LNT, but a lot of snorklers are tempted to walk on reefs. I guess socks would do less damage than fins. Have any coastal folks seen this as problematic? Or, are people wiser about how they behave at low tide?

18 minutes ago, qwazse said:

This might not apply to scuba -- or to scouts at Seabase who are coached in LNT, but a lot of snorklers are tempted to walk on reefs. I guess socks would do less damage than fins. Have any coastal folks seen this as problematic? Or, are people wiser about how they behave at low tide?

Have you ever tried walking with fins on? :) I think that's the making of a great scout game - relay race with fins.

At best (worst?), one might be able to stand on a reef, but I've never seen anyone do that.

The islands we visited and toured did not have Coral Reefs near their shores, they were just rock and sand.

For all of the adventures, your Captain will be able to identify the coral reefs and protected areas, most are marked with buoys.  No one should walk on coral reefs with fins or dive socks - that is definitely not allowed.  

Also, reach out to the US National Marine Sanctuary before your adventure, I had them teach our Crew about the coral reefs.  It was a great overview for them.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for your responses but please remember my question is specially about using Neoprene socks with fins for in water activities (SCUBA).  

Are they worth the money?  Do they add value to the expernce?