MBC Registration Questions

I am wondering...

What happens when a merit badge counselor (who didn't have to pay registration fees) wants to become an ASM as well?  MBC is a district/council position so how does that work if the MBC is a parent in a troop--would this MBC have to then pay fees to be dual-registered as an ASM for the troop?  Can this MBC serve as a Troop Committee Member and vote?

How about a currently registered ASM signing on to also become a MBC so that he/she no longer has to pay registration fees at recharter?  Can that be done?

Am I right to assume that adults who register for free as MBCs will not show up on the troop roster on Scoutbook?

https://www.scouting.org/about/faq/question19/

The Guide to Advancement best elaborates on the MBC position - it is a Council approved position (some Councils may delegate District committees to facilitate approval). MBC is not a unit leader position, thus they are not intended to be a part of the unit outdoor program or unit committee. If an individual wishes to serve as both a MBC and in a unit position, two applications are needed, and yes, they would pay the registration fee for the unit level position. I do know some units will register adults as MBCs only to avoid paying fees- my former unit did this. There were 7 ASMs, but, really, only one because the other 6 were registered as MBCs. I don't agree with it being done, seems a bit of a break from the SL to me. 

Edited by HashTagScouts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Being an MBC is tangential.
ASM’s have to pay …

• to register as an adult leader with a unit
  • unit dues (if any)
  • to attend IOLS training
  • Vehicle maintenance, fuel, gear, literature
  • time taking YPT, hazards training, etc …
  • advanced courses (BSA guard, Wilderness First Aid, Woodbadge, etc…) depending on how you choose to assist the SM.

My unit pays for adult leader registrations, so I try to sneak the $’s back in … donating to fundraisers, getting snacks for an activity, etc …

But the bottom line: if you want to be an ASM, set aside some coin for it.

• Like 1

I believe you can dodge the registration fees the first year by first registering as a MBC and then submitting a multiple registration application to register as an ASM. That said, for the future, the unit level registration will be considered primary, and the district/council level registration (like MBC, commissioner, district committee) will be considered the multiple registration.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Wondering said:

I am wondering...

What happens when a merit badge counselor (who didn't have to pay registration fees) wants to become an ASM as well?  MBC is a district/council position so how does that work if the MBC is a parent in a troop--would this MBC have to then pay fees to be dual-registered as an ASM for the troop?  Can this MBC serve as a Troop Committee Member and vote?

How about a currently registered ASM signing on to also become a MBC so that he/she no longer has to pay registration fees at recharter?  Can that be done?

Am I right to assume that adults who register for free as MBCs will not show up on the troop roster on Scoutbook?

This used to be a work-around to avoid registration fees... but no longer.

1. What happens when a merit badge counselor (who didn't have to pay registration fees) wants to become an ASM as well? 

- They must fill out an application and pay the fees to become a registered unit leader/unit member.

2. MBC is a district/council position so how does that work if the MBC is a parent in a troop--would this MBC have to then pay fees to be dual-registered as an ASM for the troop? 

- Yes.  Note:  MBC's are not registered with your unit.  They have not been approved by the COR as a unit leader.  This COR approval is done through the signed application.  MBCs do not count for two-deep leader requirements on unit outings.  They can count for two-deep only in MB counseling sessions, where the other adult must be a parent/guardian of the Scout, our a registered unit leader (for the Scout's unit).

3. Can this MBC serve as a Troop Committee Member and vote? Can that be done?

- Yes, but only by registering as a Committee Member.  Note:  SM/ASM's are NOT members of the Troop Committee.  The Scoutmaster Corps does not have a vote in Committee Meetings.  They are there to advise and report.  However, I have been a part of many units that just allow anyone who shows up for a meeting to vote.  It should not be that way, but many do it.  The SM/ASM's work for the Committee!  The feedback on their performance comes through the Boards of Review that Committee Members do.

4.  How about a currently registered ASM signing on to also become a MBC so that he/she no longer has to pay registration fees at recharter?

- It doesn't work that way.  If the person wants to stay as an ASM, the unit must pay the fee at recharter.  See note under #2.  

5. Am I right to assume that adults who register for free as MBCs will not show up on the troop roster on Scoutbook?

- Correct.  MBCs (if that is their only position) will not show up on your Troop roster.  They are not members of your unit.

When Scoutbook was first out, you could put people on your roster there without having them pay registration fees.  So, that's what we did: register them as MBCs, and internally have them be COR approved.  It saved a lot of money on recharter.  We followed the letter of the law, but not the spirit of it.  Basically, it comes down to this, the BSA wants its money!  Yes MBCs have to do YPT and get a background check done.  So, administratively, other than the COR-approved unit application, there is no substantial difference between an MBC and a Unit Scouter Reserve.  We actually kept our leader roster at the minimum of five (to recharter the unit), and put in the other positions in Scoutbook.  (It saved us hundreds of dollars) Someone at National got wise to this scheme (maybe), and now that the Scoutbook roster is tied to your official unit roster, you cannot do this any more.

Does that help answer?

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
Sorry, five is the minimum for a charter.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, malraux said:

I believe you can dodge the registration fees the first year by first registering as a MBC and then submitting a multiple registration application to register as an ASM. That said, for the future, the unit level registration will be considered primary, and the district/council level registration (like MBC, commissioner, district committee) will be considered the multiple registration.

No, you can't.  The registrars will not allow this.  MBC is a "no fee" position.  All unit positions are "fee" positions.  Registrars can see this.  (The only "no fee" unit position is Institution Head (IH) )

If you are in a "no fee" position, and register for a "fee" position, the registrar will charge you.

Once you have a paid "fee" position in a primary unit, you can then multiple into other fee positions in other units at no charge.

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Let’s face facts. It costs real time and money on BSA’s part to vette volunteers. Those of us who are in “fee” positions are fronting the bill for those who are only in “no fee” positions. It’s worth it to us boots on the ground because we hate the thought of sending scouts to a sketchy adult just for the sake of a lousy patch that someone with a clear record could provide if we knew we needed to recruit them.

Moreover, any further improvements to YPT are most likely coming from increased fees.

So, if your only position is MBC, and you have more to offer a unit or district, consider setting aside funds (and time) for the registration fees and the training. In the long run, that will ease the burden on the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Simple answer is you cannot avoid fees, not even in the first year. Also you can register to be a unit level MBC; however, it still goes through the council registration and vetting process. If the cost is a problem perhaps you can do some sort of cost sharing with the unit? Here's a tale of two units: 

My unit is each Scouter pays their own way, and we are struggling to get enough volunteers. My brothers unit out of state pays for all Scouter registration, and for any unit required training and his unit has full staffing. 

So if your unit has cash on hand maybe it's time to propose some sort of cost sharing initiative. 

• Like 2