Rifle Qualification Clarification

When it comes to shooting the 5 groups of 3 and now the exception of 5 groups of 5 if you're not adjusting and not using a scoring target, are those separate or if they score 5 groups of 5 count for qualification? I read it as separate, but I also see it as if they hit a group of 5 within the quarter, then they could hit three. Hopefully you can decipher that mess!

On 7/1/2022 at 7:52 AM, qwazse said:

What does the merit badge pamphlet say?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. With the new exception, does that mean they only need to have 5 groups of 5 to qualify if their not adjusting? 

26 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

What is the exact wording from the pamphlet?

Cut and pasted directly from the pamphlet on scouting.org.

I think that the OP is refering to the note at the bottom of page 204.

(l) Using a .22 caliber rimfire rifle and shooting from a benchrest or supported prone position at 50 feet, fire five groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by a quarter. Using these targets, explain how to adjust sights to zero a rifle.

(m)Adjust sights to center the group on the target* and fire five groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score: (1) A-32 targets—9; (2) A-17 or TQ-1 targets—7; (3) A-36 targets—5

*NOTE: It is not always practical to adjust the sights (i.e., when using a borrowed fixed-sight rifle). For requirement 2(l), you may demonstrate your ability to use the shooting fundamentals by shooting five shot groups (five shots per group) in which all shots can be covered by or touch a quarter and then explain how to adjust the sights to zero the rifle used.

Very poorly worded....

I would read this to say you must determine whether you can adjust sights before you begin shooting for score...

If you can adjust, then do requirement l) and show that you can shoot 15 shots (five groups of three) that can be covered by a quarter. (It doesn't matter where that grouping is on the target.)  Then, m) make the adjustment and then shoot 25 shots (five of five) for score (which aims for bullseye)  In this scenario, Scouts must shoot a minimum of 40 rounds. 

If you cannot adjust, you must shoot 25 shots (five groups of five) that can be covered by a quarter.  Again, these groupings can be anywhere on the target.  Then explain how to adjust.  In this scenario, Scouts could complete the requirement with a minimum of 25 rounds.

• Thanks 3