National Camping School

Can any of you help me find more information on the National Camping Schools, when and where they will be held in the coming spring? Last graduated in 1980 (Aquatics) and want to take it this coming spring (shooting sports). Thanks for the help.

Check out your Regional Web site or give them a call they may know more than the guys in the Council.NCS are not Council programs. They do use Council facilities to host the course.

I do know that most courses are held late spring early summer, when the Councils have their new camp staff all lined up and the schools and colleges are out. This being where the staff mainly come from and are free. If the Council is paying they may want people to attend as late as possible, that way they feel more certain that people will not make other plans and the certification is put too work ASAP. These courses are very expensive, I'm not really sure why? But sending a guy who is going to be a no show really does hurt. (Of course I am in no way saying that you would ever dream of doing such a thing.)

Eamonn.

The price of training can be part of your camp budget. The syllabus covers what is required for camp, you'll get at least two 2" binders of stuff. Many cub day camp directors attend these and its a great way to network with other scouter that have the camp type programs in common. This is not for the usual troop, crew, or pack member. Mostly directors. It is good for 5 years.

Um, thanks. I've been there, knew that. Just looking for a place to find the where and when of upcoming NCS in my area.

It looks like the Region is the place that plans it out. I have yet to find any type of Region web site for the Western Region. I guess I'll start with the council, unless anyone has other ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to NCS in May 2003 for COPE Director certification at Camp Bob Hardin in Saluda, NC. That course was one of the longest seven days of my life! We were up for breakfast by 0700 and rock-n-rolled until at least 11:00PM every night. Oh, did I mention that it rained the ENTIRE time!

After that week, I hurt in places I didn't know I had! Man, I want to go back so bad! :)