New Chartered Organization

I don't want to derail the other threads... I am looking for more how it works than anything.

Obviously I am not new to Scouting, but I am new to having to get a new CO.  We have been chartered by the local Methodist Church for decades, so this doesnt come up often.  

Are there any requirements for an organization to be CO other than a willingness?  

We don't need a meeting place.

We don't need a place to store equipment. 

We will need an organization to fill the role though.  The group we are thinking about knows all about the Units as many of the members are with or have been involved in Scouting in the community.  

I just need to know what all the ducks are and get them in their rows.  And fairly quickly I guess.

Charters to Organizations Charters for new units may be granted upon approval of the application in accordance with the guidelines of the Boy Scouts of America. Prior to approval of any new chartered organization, a review must be made as to the general objectives, purpose, character, intent, and programs of the prospective chartered organization or community group and its compatibility with the aims and purposes of the Boy Scouts of America. The history, length of service, and general reputation of the organization or community group are also factors that should be considered. The application must provide reference to the guidelines adopted by the Boy Scouts of America on the use of the Scouting program by chartered organizations and references to other policies and guidelines on the Scouting program. The charter agreement must obligate the holder to abide by the charter agreement; provide adequate facilities, supervision, and leadership for at least one year; and make an effort to provide youth members with the opportunity for a quality program experience as set forth in the official literature of the Boy Scouts of America. Unit meeting quarters must be periodically inspected to determine their adequacy as well as to ascertain other uses to be made of these or adjoining quarters, for the purpose of considering the compatibility of uses and the general appropriateness of the environment.

Charters to Groups of Citizens While the formation of units in connection with existing organizations is preferred, when conditions warrant, a charter may be granted for the formation of a unit independent of any relationship with an existing organization, provided, however, that the applicants are citizens of the United States who subscribe to the principles of the Scout Oath, whose interest is primarily in helping youth through the Scouting program, and who have the resources to provide the necessary leadership, supervision, and facilities. In such cases, the obligations upon the applicants for a charter are the same as those required for organizations. 

9 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I don't want to derail the other threads... I am looking for more how it works than anything.

Obviously I am not new to Scouting, but I am new to having to get a new CO.  We have been chartered by the local Methodist Church for decades, so this doesnt come up often.  

Are there any requirements for an organization to be CO other than a willingness?  

We don't need a meeting place.

We don't need a place to store equipment. 

We will need an organization to fill the role though.  The group we are thinking about knows all about the Units as many of the members are with or have been involved in Scouting in the community.  

I just need to know what all the ducks are and get them in their rows.  And fairly quickly I guess.

They have to agree to recognize your COR (you have to have one for chartering) and sign the Charter Agreement

http://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Annual-Charter-Agreement-Charter-Organizations-.pdf