SM Anxiety, Is it Normal?

Folks,

As most of you know, I have been around a long time, and have served in a variety of volunteer and professional roles. As an OA chapter advisor, I have organized day and weekend trips. I have assisted in organizing and supervising my pack and troops in activities over the years. So this is not my first rodeo in Scouting.

But since I took over as SM, almost every weekend trip, I have been anxious and nervous. Are my Scouts going to have fun? Are they ready for the weekend? Will they be any problems? Is this anxiety  normal for all new SMs?

For example, back in January I was worried some of the Scouts would not have the proper cold weather and rain gear. Yep, some didn't and lucky for them I brought some extra stuff. When we were staffing an event, I was nervous about them running an event that they have run in the past and knew hand s down. For camporee,  I was worried that they were not prepared for all the events, and focused on the mantra "Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" The did excellent. We went backpacking, and I was worried about their preparedness and if things happened. And while things did happen: storm, hail, lighting, horses in the camp, etc, they did everything like they were suppose to. 

We got a whitewater trip this weekend. Class 2 and 3s. Company we hired alllows 8 year olds, and the section is advertised for beginners. We have been going over SSD and SA. We have gone over the basics of white water and will do more tonight. But I am anxious once again.

Is this normal? I want my scouts to have great memories and fun, as well as being safe.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Folks,

As most of you know, I have been around a long time, and have served in a variety of volunteer and professional roles. As an OA chapter advisor, I have organized day and weekend trips. I have assisted in organizing and supervising my pack and troops in activities over the years. So this is not my first rodeo in Scouting.

But since I took over as SM, almost every weekend trip, I have been anxious and nervous. Are my Scouts going to have fun? Are they ready for the weekend? Will they be any problems? Is this anxiety  normal for all new SMs?

For example, back in January I was worried some of the Scouts would not have the proper cold weather and rain gear. Yep, some didn't and lucky for them I brought some extra stuff. When we were staffing an event, I was nervous about them running an event that they have run in the past and knew hand s down. For camporee,  I was worried that they were not prepared for all the events, and focused on the mantra "Train 'em. Trust 'em. LET THEM LEAD!" The did excellent. We went backpacking, and I was worried about their preparedness and if things happened. And while things did happen: storm, hail, lighting, horses in the camp, etc, they did everything like they were suppose to. 

We got a whitewater trip this weekend. Class 2 and 3s. Company we hired alllows 8 year olds, and the section is advertised for beginners. We have been going over SSD and SA. We have gone over the basics of white water and will do more tonight. But I am anxious once again.

Is this normal? I want my scouts to have great memories and fun, as well as being safe.

It was normal for me. I typically didn't sleep for two nights before a campout and at least a week before summer camp or high adventure. While we share the program with the ASMs, JASMs, committee, and other resources, the SM is still responsible for results. Even though everything is in place the way it should be, the SM suffers in the hope that scouts come home better than they left. Not just in safety, but in growth. 

However, on the other side, my wife will tell you there were many nights I didn't sleep because of something great that happened. I just couldn't help laying there with a big smile on my face. Whether it was a great meeting, campout or just a routine activity, there is immeasurable satisfaction (joy) from a great day of scouting.

I have no advice other than keep doing what you are doing because the program only gets better.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Normal. 

Being a bit of a worry-wart tells me you want to do a good job as SM, and that the Scouts are in good hands. 

You are responsible for all things health and safety related, so it is normal to have anxiety over those things.  It keeps you sharp and frosty!

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 2

It is still normal for me.  I am nervous about every trip, meeting, and activity.  That is a good thing IMHO, you are thinking about the kids.  If we get to the point where we can do it blindfolded, that is where something will go wrong.

Thanks folks for the reassurance, it helps.

Yes I want to do my best for my Scouts. I worry about disappointing them, especially having to back out of something they have been looking forward to.  This whitewater trip is making me anxious because I want my Scouts to have some good memories.  I am the only adult able to go rafting with them, and am thankful that the guides will count towards qualified supervision requirement. One of my Scouts is about to age out, and I wanted this to be a memorable trip for him since he specifically wanted this.

• Like 1