What level of recognition?

A couple of months ago, a Webelo II scout was comming home with his mom from the doctor where she had just had an allergy shot. By the time she got home, she was having severe stomach pains and nausous. He had to help her into the house where she sat in the bathroom and was unable to move any further. The scout remained calm and called 911. Although the nausia and pains had lessened the mom was taken to the hospital by ambulance and by the time she had gotten there she was swelling all over. She was having a severe reaction to the allergy shot. The hospital administered antihistimes and she was able to go home a few hours later with no real harm done. It is debateable wheither she would have gotten better by herself without medical help.

We recognized this scout at our Pack meeting for his application of the skills he learned (remaining calm and calling 911) when earning his Readyman pin. Should we nominiate him for any recognition beyond the unit level and if so what? (Certificate of Merit perhaps?)

I am very hesitent to do so because the scout is my son and the mom my wife so I may be overly biased as to his deed. However, I am the Cubmaster of the pack and it is my job to give any boy in the pack the recognition he deserves.

Which if any recognition he is eligiblke for is determine by other people. The best thing for you to do is to write a detailed narraration of the event and submit it to your District Executive, he/she will begin the review process.

The DE is not part of the decision making process for Heroism medals, other than the staff advisor for the Advancement Committee and he/she just makes sure the paper work is filled out correctly. Anyone may fill out the application and submit it to the Advancement Committee. It will include a narrative of the event and information about the scout. It also asks if there is any press or other coverage plus statements of people who witnessed it and the victim. Typically the unit or a scouter who knows about the event submits the application. Then the Council Advancement Committee reviews it and either decides that a certificate award (council level) be made or that the application is to be submitted to National for the medals. I have had the pleasure of being on the Council Advancement committee and we recommend several scouts to National.

what a great story. you should be proud of your lad. this would make a great SM's minute.

i admire your humbleness. go to the Scout office and submit an application. they'll help you with the paperwork.

otherwise, send me a Personal Message with all of the details and i will submit an app on your son's behalf

its stories like this that keep me motivated as a Scouter...

eSM