Today, I found out that one of my scouts attempted suicide last night.  Thankfully unsuccessful and hopefully going to get the help he needs.  I was one of the first people the parents called, so hard to grasp.  But glad I was their for his younger sister tonight to help take her mind off of it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear. You may want to get some assistance in coaching how to deal with this. Your DE or SE may be able to put you in touch with some good resources for youth leaders.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, qwazse said:

Sorry to hear. You may want to get some assistance in coaching how to deal with this. Your DE or SE may be able to put you in touch with some good resources for youth leaders.

I would reach out to the school(s) your scouts attend who are close to this scout for resources. This is tough because the parents and scout likely don't want it broadcast what happened, so you need to limit what you say and do to only those scouts who will be in the know on this. 

Thank you for being there for this family. This really is the hardest stuff, which has unfortunately struck close to home (non-scout friends) recently for a few of our scouts.

• Like 1